Second "Massive Audio" amp to go into thermal protection (Help please)

eXistence
10+ year member

Texas
Alright long story short I wired up own system. Which I am thinking something might be wrong. System includes:

2006 Corvette Z06

H/U = Kenwood DDX 719

Front Comp = Arc Audio XDI 6 1/2s with tweeeters (4ohms)

Rear = Arc Audio 5 1/4 Coaxial (4ohms)

Sub = Alpine Type R 10" running in 2ohm (Dual 4ohm Coil)

Amp = Massive Audio NX5

Alright so I wired the speakers up with 14 gauge wires. 1 side had the white stripe and the other no stripe. Ran them down to the passenger foot well where the two crossovers are. (Fronts only for now). Along with tweeters which I believe is 16g or 18g wire. After the wires were in the crossovers I ran those down the passenger side of the car then up the middle which paired up with the rear speakers/wire. From there I ran them straight to the back of my car.

For my power and ground (My battery is located in the back) I wired the power to the positive terminal and ran the ground to a ground location on the passenger side. Does not interfere with speaker wire. I don't have hissing or alternator whine. I then ran my subs from the driver side since that is where the terminals are for the box. Everything meets in the middle of the car towards the back wall.

Now for settings of the amp. I have the fronts on 0 gain and the rears on 2 clicks. The sub is on 5 clicks. Now when I run the system normal at low to somewhat mid volume its fine. Its when I want to push it to high and hear it go bang bang. Well about 20-30 min of this the amp cuts off from being so ****** hot. Like melting skin hot. So I started to go back and check everything. I unplugged my RCA's one at a time. First to go was the subs. Played the music loud for a good 30 min. Cuts off. Then unplugged the rears. Same thing. Then unplugged the fronts and left rears in. Same thing. They all put the amp into thermal protection. I checked all my speakers for ohm and all speakers came out around 3.7-3.9ohms. The sub came out to 1.8ohms. I also tested voltage and it was around 13.85 which is good.

So I sent the amp in thinking it might have been bad. Received new one today and hooked everything up and double checked my terminals. About 35-40 min at hi volume. The amp goes into protect. Made me upset. So now I am thinking it has to be something with my wiring. Maybe I got something backwards or maybe a speaker could be blown (even though I don't hear it in anyway its blown). This weekend I have decided to go back and rewire everything ad double check it. Hopefully there was something with the wiring I missed.

What do you guys think? 2 NX5 amps going into thermal protection?

Alright long story short I wired up own system. Which I am thinking something might be wrong. System includes:
2006 Corvette Z06

H/U = Kenwood DDX 719

Front Comp = Arc Audio XDI 6 1/2s with tweeeters (4ohms)

Rear = Arc Audio 5 1/4 Coaxial (4ohms)

Sub = Alpine Type R 10" running in 2ohm (Dual 4ohm Coil)

Amp = Massive Audio NX5

Alright so I wired the speakers up with 14 gauge wires. 1 side had the white stripe and the other no stripe. Ran them down to the passenger foot well where the two crossovers are. (Fronts only for now). Along with tweeters which I believe is 16g or 18g wire. After the wires were in the crossovers I ran those down the passenger side of the car then up the middle which paired up with the rear speakers/wire. From there I ran them straight to the back of my car.

For my power and ground (My battery is located in the back) I wired the power to the positive terminal and ran the ground to a ground location on the passenger side. Does not interfere with speaker wire. I don't have hissing or alternator whine. I then ran my subs from the driver side since that is where the terminals are for the box. Everything meets in the middle of the car towards the back wall.

Now for settings of the amp. I have the fronts on 0 gain and the rears on 2 clicks. The sub is on 5 clicks. Now when I run the system normal at low to somewhat mid volume its fine. Its when I want to push it to high and hear it go bang bang. Well about 20-30 min of this the amp cuts off from being so ****** hot. Like melting skin hot. So I started to go back and check everything. I unplugged my RCA's one at a time. First to go was the subs. Played the music loud for a good 30 min. Cuts off. Then unplugged the rears. Same thing. Then unplugged the fronts and left rears in. Same thing. They all put the amp into thermal protection. I checked all my speakers for ohm and all speakers came out around 3.7-3.9ohms. The sub came out to 1.8ohms. I also tested voltage and it was around 13.85 which is good.

So I sent the amp in thinking it might have been bad. Received new one today and hooked everything up and double checked my terminals. About 35-40 min at hi volume. The amp goes into protect. Made me upset. So now I am thinking it has to be something with my wiring. Maybe I got something backwards or maybe a speaker could be blown (even though I don't hear it in anyway its blown). This weekend I have decided to go back and rewire everything ad double check it. Hopefully there was something with the wiring I missed.

What do you guys think? 2 NX5 amps going into thermal protection?
Class A/B in such a small package is a recipe for thermal nightmares. That whole line needs adequate ventilation and, in a lot of cases, forced cooling.

Class A/B in such a small package is a recipe for thermal nightmares. That whole line needs adequate ventilation and, in a lot of cases, forced cooling.
I did read about NX5 having heat problems, but the amp sits in the back in an open space. I read up about running a small cpu fan, but you shouldn't have to do that you know? I am just looking to fix my problem. If its the amp then I will return it and go to the next best 5 channel and spend the extra. I spent $350 for this one.

I ran the NX5 for about 6 months and EVERY time I went full tilt after about 5-6 minutes it would go into protect. I added a stinger bullet fan and placed it right next to the rca side where it blew over the top and bottom and it never did it again. I still have that fan if you want it. Just cover shipping.

I ran the NX5 for about 6 months and EVERY time I went full tilt after about 5-6 minutes it would go into protect. I added a stinger bullet fan and placed it right next to the rca side where it blew over the top and bottom and it never did it again. I still have that fan if you want it. Just cover shipping.
I just think that is tacky to have a fan out in the open like that. How did you have it wired?

I just think that is tacky to have a fan out in the open like that. How did you have it wired?
Absolutely, but if you want that much power in the size of a carton of Marlboros you sacrifice somewhere. Clearly these amps are not meant to be driven for long periods of time at full blast. Really back in the olden days ALL amps would start to get really hot after half an hour if you ran below 4 ohms. Pick a full range class D or an amp with a much larger heatsink.

Try the Phoenix gold sd1300.5 really nice amp, stays cool lots of power small footprint. It's fan cooled, the fan is kinda loud but can't hear it over music lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.