Second Head Unit

Participant count
  • Participant list

Ozone Blue
10+ year member

So, I'm currently putting together an install for my '07 Mazda 3. I'm getting ready to install my new head unit, when I stumbled across a question that I can't really figure out a good answer to.

I bought a dash kit that installs my new head unit on the top of my dash (see http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/69-Mazdaspeed3-DVD-DASH-INSTALL-MOUNT-KIT-MPS-3-ONE-DIN_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2c4c749fc1QQitemZ190261272513QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories). For aesthetic and informational purposes (clock, temp, HVAC info, etc.) I'd like to leave the old stereo & LCD screen not only in place, but also still partially wired in. Now, I figure wiring the speaker outs and antenna to the new head unit exclusively should be easy. I'm concerned about the power. Can I split the main power and remote wires to both the old stereo and the new head unit, or will that end up underpowering both of them? The last thing I want to do is fry one or another, but I'm hoping to try and avoid running a new power and remote line just for my new head unit.

Any and all wiring advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

I use to run the fallowing off one wire with no problems.

Head unit

CD changer

Sirius receiver

Ipod power wires

Not one problem and had it all running for about a year and a half before I took all of it out "crash"

You should be fine.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I won't worry about it too much then. Hopefully that'll help the rest of my install go off without a hitch.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.