Second guessing my IDMAX15 build

Thanks for reporting back and great selection. Even though the Rev A seems to have been an upgrade, I like the old basket better. You just made me want to put my Brahma in my truck now

Your box looks pretty good for that Brahma. The ID max is a great performer if you have limited space and use a sealed box. In a ported box, that Brahma will walk all over the IDmax. Good choice.

So, I hate threads like this that don’t have a resolution, so I wanted to report back, especially to those who took the time to share your knowledge with me.

I tried to order the IDMAX15, but no one had it in stock. I called Image Dynamics directly, and they said it may take a month or more to get in a certain part that is back ordered so they can build more drivers. But even then there was no guarantee I would be able to snag one.

So, I got a Adire Brahma instead. It was the last of the previous model (the 2018-2022 MK 2.5, not the rev A) they had in stock, so I got it for a good price.

I installed it today, and I gotta say, even with a box that is not ideal for it (Andrew from Adire says the port area is too small) and even though it isn’t broken in yet, it sounds so much better than my last sub.

It extends lower (a very noticeable difference on Hip Hop and Reggae, less of a difference on rock/metal and other genres I listen to, but still a cleaner, more even sound) and is super low distortion.

With my previous sub, I never realized that my stock speakers were also getting bass frequencies (duh, they are not crossed over or capped). But with the Brahma, the full range speakers also trying to hit bass notes sound very dirty, because the Brahma does those same notes without distortion. I had to order some capacitors to roll off the base on my main speakers so they leave the low end to the Brahma.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the Brahma 15, and may eventually get a box that is made specifically for it.

Thanks for all the advice!

Definitely not enough port area. Brahma's can play pretty clean into higher frequencies due to the low inductance motors. Glad to Adire made a comeback.

Even though the Rev A seems to have been an upgrade, I like the old basket better.

Oh really? That’s interesting! I didn’t think the new upgrades made much of a difference for my use (moderate listening with 800w or so), but I did’t consider that the older version would actually be preferable.

The ID max is a great performer if you have limited space and use a sealed box. In a ported box, that Brahma will walk all over the IDmax. Good choice.
That makes me feel better about the extra work I had to do (adding the mdf ring to accommodate the smaller diameter) to make the Brahma fit. 👍🏽

This sub actually has me excited to drive again… takes the sting out of the high gas prices! 😁

When you build a new box, 4.5 cubes tuned to 28 HZ would be pretty sweet. Lots of port area. 70-80 sq. Inches. It will be a large box with a port that size, but it will be worth it. I have a similar 15 with about the same xmax in 4 cubes at 30 HZ with a big port, and it’s more bass than most sane people would listen to.

Oh really? That’s interesting! I didn’t think the new upgrades made much of a difference for my use (moderate listening with 800w or so), but I did’t consider that the older version would actually be preferable.

That makes me feel better about the extra work I had to do (adding the mdf ring to accommodate the smaller diameter) to make the Brahma fit. 👍🏽

This sub actually has me excited to drive again… takes the sting out of the high gas prices! 😁

I was wondering what that ring was about since the box is clearly deep enough. I think you made a good choice. IMHO the Brahma is as clean up top as an IDMAX, but has more output overall and gets lower than the IDMAX.

IMHO the Brahma is as clean up top as an IDMAX, but has more output overall and gets lower than the IDMAX.
I’ve never heard an IDMAX, but the Brahma seems to be exactly how you describe it. The only bad part is it now has me wanting equally good mids and tweeters to replace the stock stuff I have. 😬

When you build a new box, 4.5 cubes tuned to 28 HZ would be pretty sweet. Lots of port area. 70-80 sq. Inches. It will be a large box with a port that size, but it will be worth it. I have a similar 15 with about the same xmax in 4 cubes at 30 HZ with a big port, and it’s more bass than most sane people would listen to.
Oh man, you’ve got me thinking about saving up for a new box now! That setup sounds awesome!

So, I hate threads like this that don’t have a resolution, so I wanted to report back, especially to those who took the time to share your knowledge with me.

I tried to order the IDMAX15, but no one had it in stock. I called Image Dynamics directly, and they said it may take a month or more to get in a certain part that is back ordered so they can build more drivers. But even then there was no guarantee I would be able to snag one.

So, I got a Adire Brahma instead. It was the last of the previous model (the 2018-2022 MK 2.5, not the rev A) they had in stock, so I got it for a good price.

I installed it today, and I gotta say, even with a box that is not ideal for it (Andrew from Adire says the port area is too small) and even though it isn’t broken in yet, it sounds so much better than my last sub.

It extends lower (a very noticeable difference on Hip Hop and Reggae, less of a difference on rock/metal and other genres I listen to, but still a cleaner, more even sound) and is super low distortion.

With my previous sub, I never realized that my stock speakers were also getting bass frequencies (duh, they are not crossed over or capped). But with the Brahma, the full range speakers also trying to hit bass notes sound very dirty, because the Brahma does those same notes without distortion. I had to order some capacitors to roll off the base on my main speakers so they leave the low end to the Brahma.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the Brahma 15, and may eventually get a box that is made specifically for it.

Thanks for all the advice!

The Brahma seems to be an awesome sub. I would orient the box with the port facing backwards and fairly close up to the hatch. A lot of times there’s a golden zone there with the port away from hatch distance. You might build a box facing everything rear, the 15 and port, and I would make it really wide from side to side. Regardless, I would definitely fire the port backwards and push the box up within a few inches of the hatch.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

Bassthoven

CarAudio.com Recruit
Bassthoven
Los Angeles
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views