Seal up 6.5 mids in doors?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Trancer
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Allen, Texas
Hi, I am lacking midbass in my Focal Utopia's. I was expecting much more midbass out of these, especially for the price. They lean more towards midrange than midbass.

So I was thinking of my first project of learning how to fiberglass, to build a fiberglass pod to put in my mid woofer door hole to seal it up. This way I would have a fully sealed enclosure for my mids and get that mid bass that I need and maybe improve the overall sound of the mids.

I have my doors sound deadened, so those are sealed up. Do these speakers need to breathe?

the problem is the speaker itself. Focal's are not mid bass heavy, It sounds like your wanting morel style midbass and you won't get that with focal. Your best chance is to build ported enclosures in your doors for them.

Im asking if I should make speaker pods for my mid range woofers in the doors. I already have my doors sound deadened.

the problem is the speaker itself. Focal's are not mid bass heavy, It sounds like your wanting morel style midbass and you won't get that with focal. Your best chance is to build ported enclosures in your doors for them.
Whew, not sure if I have the room or even the knowledge on how to do that.

it's not much different then one for your subs. Focal does great in home when you can run them ported and the tweeters aren't so overbearing. Unless you have a tuning problem. If your used to bass heavy mids Focal's are not for you.

it's not much different then one for your subs. Focal does great in home when you can run them ported and the tweeters aren't so overbearing. Unless you have a tuning problem. If your used to bass heavy mids Focal's are not for you.
Well before I was running the Utopia's, I was running the Focal Access 165CA's and they packed tons more of a punch in the midbass area. They just couldnt take the power and I wanted much more volume out of them. So they didnt last but maybe 6 months, but I really liked the sound of them. I guess its give/take on the Access vs the Utopia line. Im getting much more volume and much more midrange out of the Utopia's.

I am having an issue with my Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.1 software on my laptop. Everything on my screen is misaligned and all kinds of screwed up ever since I had to resinstall Windows and the program. But even before then, I couldnt get any midbass out of them. I know Focals are known more for midrange than midbass, but Im looking for atleast SOME midbass. So everything is running flat on my EQ. I really need to dive into figuring out why my program isnt working right on my laptop. Its not like my laptop in insufficient... its an Asus G73Jw.... Bought it a year ago for $1700 so its no slouch. I think its a problem with the fact that I am running 1080p

well in that case it is a tuning issue. I thought it was a design issue as it is most commonly when people come from more aggressive mids to the smoother sounding focals. What are your setting at right now? Are you running them active by your amps or with focal's cross over block. In my experience the utopia's had more midbass then the access.

I'm not going to lie, I'm a bit gelatinous. Which set? The №. 7?
I honestly have no idea. I bought them about 3-4 years ago used on ebay late late at night for an awesome steal. They are an older version

And I must ask, what on earth do you mean by the word "gelatinous"? I looked the word up and it means:

— adj

1. consisting of or resembling jelly; viscous

2. of, containing, or resembling gelatine

So I am going to assume you meant jealous maybe?

I'm guessing he is using his phone and got autocorrected lolor maybe that the envy of your speakers softens him to a jelly like state
haha I was thinking of the autocorrect thing myself. That and jealous/envy was the possibility.

Nice way to keep me on my toes while Im all hopped up on hydrocodone from my surgery last week. For a minute there, I thought I was too high that I forgot the English dictionary //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.