Say it ain't so

Volvo_S80

Ma
So I was setting up my new speakers trying to adjust the gain all around and I accidentally touched the + and - speaker outputs on my while setting the gains with a DMM and pop one quick spark and into Protect mode it went.... and stayed..... and it's still in protect. I didn't smell anything unusual and it wasn't abnormally hot but it hasn't powered back up. Is there some easy fix or did I really just blow my DD M2C adjusting the gain like an idiot

I didn't see any fuse on the amp. I actually took the bottom plate off to see if there was any noticeable damage none that I saw everything looked shiny and new. Come to think about it I didn't check the Main fuse coming from my 1/0 power wire (It's buried under the amp racks) But the Bass knob shows 12 volts.

unhook power grounds and remote. Then get a small speaker wire to jump the pos and neg terminals of the amp, it should have a small spark that resets the amp.
I just ran outside to try this. Unhooked everything and jumped the + and - I got the Spark. Hooked everything back up and it was still in protect. I unhooked everything again jumped the+ and - now I will just let it sit I have to go work out of town for the next couple days so I will try again when I come home.

You probably just smoked that amp. If an amp doesn't come out of protect when you remove whatever condition protected it it's not going to change its mind later.

I really hope not but I kind of figured that's what happened. If it is blown can it be repaired and if so, at what cost?

I really should have just screwed the DMM right into the speaker outputs instead of just jamming them in the 1 foot piece of wire I have for easy sub removal.... Hard, expensive lesson learned I guess.

Typical amp repair costs between $90-250. Anything less is typically just signal related, anything more.. oh boy..

Why would you "bury" your main fuse? It's something that needs to be in the open/accessable in case something like this happens you can get to it easy.

That DD amp won't have any fuses on the side of the amp. A external one is required.

i have actually seen a few amps go into protect just from the spike of hooking them up, and stay in protect for days...... then work a week later...... so it is possible, but not probable...

I really hope not but I kind of figured that's what happened. If it is blown can it be repaired and if so, at what cost?
I really should have just screwed the DMM right into the speaker outputs instead of just jamming them in the 1 foot piece of wire I have for easy sub removal.... Hard, expensive lesson learned I guess.
Most reputable shops bill about 70$ an hour for bench time + parts so figure minimum 70$ + shipping two ways.

Closest one for shipping purposes is Amp Medics in Florida. There's a place in Maine that repairs amps, but IDK if they even do anything apart from buying broken amps from companies and refurbing them to sell.

Why would you "bury" your main fuse? It's something that needs to be in the open/accessable in case something like this happens you can get to it easy.
That DD amp won't have any fuses on the side of the amp. A external one is required.
I built my amp rack without thinking about the power block first honestly and the only place that made sense after it was all done was under the amp rack and bolted through the old spare tire mount. It's a Knu power block with 2 1/0 in 1 1/0, 1 4ga, and 1 8ga out so its not small and my amps are huge. *Shrug* I still haven't had to replace a fuse so it hasn't bother me any.

i have actually seen a few amps go into protect just from the spike of hooking them up, and stay in protect for days...... then work a week later...... so it is possible, but not probable...
I was hoping maybe the arc from hooking it amp up to fast with high hopes put it back into protect. Still hoping this lol.

I'm back home so tomorrow I will try to hook it up one last time.

Most reputable shops bill about 70$ an hour for bench time + parts so figure minimum 70$ + shipping two ways.
Closest one for shipping purposes is Amp Medics in Florida. There's a place in Maine that repairs amps, but IDK if they even do anything apart from buying broken amps from companies and refurbing them to sell.

This isn't too bad I guess... Shipping in a large flat rate box is ~$30 each way.

I emailed DD and they sent a response saying that I can ship it to them and they will have their people look at it and possibly repair it also.

I'm guessing DD would be more expensive vs Amp Medics?

Steve at Amp Medics is a good guy, but seems to be backed up. He's had one of my amps for a almost 2 months, I've yet to hear from him. I also haven't bothered him about it, though. Lol. Just been using my backup amp since this one failed. He's really, really responsive via the Amp Medics Facebook page, though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Volvo_S80

Volvo_S80
Ma
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
Volvo_S80