sand in sub box?

I seen that episode before too. They used it as sound deadening inside the box but I dont see how effective that can be. Reme their installer said it was his secret....

Sand does have its uses as a damping material in enclosures. Proof? Vance Dickason, author of the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook, wrote a few supplementary collections called Loudspeaker Recipes. In LR volume 1, he has a design for a 2-way vented speaker. To limit internal reflections and standing waves, he puts half of a Sonotube section in the rear of the enclosure so that the front and rear baffles are not parallel. That means that on either side there will be air gaps. I thus quote:

I cut the .25-inch-thick [sonotube] in half lengthwise to form a semicylinder, and trimmed it to the inside height of the box. I positioned it at the rear of the enclosure and stapled it to the back and side walls. I then sealed the cardboard edges using a combination of hot glue and silicone which formed two empty spaces in the corners of the box. After assembling and finishing were completed, I drilled .5" holes in the bottom of the enclosure at the center of the corner spaces. I poured fine white sand (the kind used for gardening) through the holes into the cavities behind the cardboard. [This consequently lowers the resonant frequency of the enclosure when compared to stuffing the empty spaces with a damping material such as fiberglass or poly-fill]. Once these were completely filled, I sealed the holes with dowel plugs. (Incidentally, I made this internal semi-cylinder concept as a prototype several years ago--before the release of the Genesis speaker, which uses the same format, without the sand backfill.)
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=500-018

Quoted directly from page 30 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

80517284.jpg

Yo dawg, I herd you liek sandstorm so we put sand in your geo storm so you can have a sandstorm while listening to sandstorm in your geo storm...

Yo dawg, I herd you liek sandstorm so we put sand in your geo storm so you can have a sandstorm while listening to sandstorm in your geo storm...
Yo dawg, I heard you like jokes so I just made another shitty joke about your shitty joke about a shitty joke.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.