same chamber or no?

thigpen
10+ year member

i thought i had always been told you should have the subs in the same chamber but when i was looking at boxes on klausaudio.com for a ported box for 2 12"'s it said that the subs being in the same air chamber was recommended? which one is correct?

i thought i had always been told you should have the subs in the same chamber but when i was looking at boxes on klausaudio.com for a ported box for 2 12"'s it said that the subs being in the same air chamber was recommended? which one is correct?
either way will work as long as the volume is appropriate....for example, if one sub needs 2 cubic feet of space, then make sure a box with the shared chamber has a volume of 2 x 2 = 4 cubic feet....

however, keep in mind if one sub breaks or messes up for whatever reason, your system will still work because the other sub will still be in its own appropriate sized box...if the chamber is shared, then having one sub broken and one working is inefficient because the internal volume is too big for the single sub to operate properly...

As mentioned....there is no "right" or "wrong" here. As long as both are properly sized, it won't make an audible difference one way or the other. The only real purpose for them to be chambered is for protection in the case of one of the driver's failing.

but since i have the option to get either of them and i dont believe it costs more either way should i go chambered just so if one sub were to fail i would be safe?

but since i have the option to get either of them and i dont believe it costs more either way should i go chambered just so if one sub were to fail i would be safe?
if you get two seperate chambers, you would be safe if one sub failed...your right, it shouldnt cost more, so you may as well get the box made with two internal chambers...

also, another plus is that having that extra piece of wood in there may help brace the box, keep it from vibrating too much //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

if you get two seperate chambers, you would be safe if one sub failed...your right, it shouldnt cost more, so you may as well get the box made with two internal chambers...
also, another plus is that having that extra piece of wood in there may help brace the box, keep it from vibrating too much //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Absolutely. Strong boxes are good. Not having to pay for 2 new woofers because one fails and the other one jumps the gap because it now has twice the air space is also good.

but see i dont think im going to be building it myself, so if i get someone else to build it for me then i might as well make them do the extra work at the same price, right?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.