Salvage titles

Dozy_production
10+ year member

Poel
Hey there, i know i should be asking this elsewhere but you guys are just as knoweledgable as others.

Im looking at a 2000 Red Integra (102K miles), i believe its a GSR or LS i couldnt tell because it was debadged. Well its being sold as stolen recovery vehicle which means its under a slavaged title.

Well the question is how much should i take off the price if its in amazing condition? They are offering it at 7,400 dollars but thats rediculous. I was going to try to low ball them around the low 6,200 range. Do i need to go lower?

And btw, this dealer is legit. Ive had about 3 friends and 2 co workers buy from this lot and all of their cars have been running with no hitch for more than 4 years on average.

Dunno about the price,but I woulnd buy a car with a salvage title.Theres no telling whats been done to it.The dealer may not know.Its basicly a roll of the dice.

Dunno about the price,but I woulnd buy a car with a salvage title.Theres no telling whats been done to it.The dealer may not know.Its basicly a roll of the dice.
that has nothing to do with a salvage title, a salvage title is just issued to make sure you dont use any stolen parts to repair it.

A salvage title on a vehicle immediately deprecaites the vehicle to half its real worth in similar condition with a clean title. In other words- if the car is worth 8,000 with a clean title, a salvage title makes it worth 4,000.

The owner probably thinks its worth more then that because he sees it as a good lookign car. The fact is, a slavage title means the vehicle was either repaired when the damage was over 75% of its value, or it was stolen. Either of those situations makes the vehicle possibly unsafe for driving. Hence the loss in value.

The truth is you don't know if while it was stolen the thieves didn't cut into a wire somewhere- making it a ticking timebomb for a fire. Or maybe they put sand in the oil. You just can't be sure the vehicle is safe to drive.

Salvage titles for the most part dont mean ****, I have owned and repaired many vehicles with salvage titles, only one that you could really tell. One of them was a flood car, besides the fact that it was rotting with 3 years it was perfect, and it did state flood damage on the title. I have one currently that was rolled and totaled out of state, repaired and retitled in another state and then retitled in my home state with a normal title. Carfax shows only one event that says it was overturned and issued a salvage title, it is missing the rebuilt title and auction data. The only ones to really avoid are newer flood damage, stolen vehicles, and rental/lease/fleet cars.

do a carfax on it, and then you'll know what you're really looking at

the fact that it has a salvage title is actually a good thing

bad in the sense that SOMETHING happened to the car, but good because if the dealer really wanted to, there's ways of titling and retitling a car in certain states that will remove the reconstruction status from the title, and provide a new 'clean' title.

like i said, do a carfax, and find out what happened.

Yeah i made the mistake of not getting the VIN number for the car but im going to do that once the whole christmas thing is over. There are some trustworthy mechanics that ill take the car to to make sure its legit.

Yeah, i was thinking how he could be charging so much for the car and he will probably not accept under 6k but its worth a shot.

I agree with a lot of your statements such as the depreciation coming in majorly if i want to sell the car but the thing is, is that i don't think im going to want to sell this. Im a freshman in college and im looking for something that will go for the long haul. Again, co workers and friends have had nothing but good experience with this lot. I think the most they had to (besides usual maintenance) repair was putting coke on the battery to clean it.

thanks for the advice and as one of you said, ill take my chances and roll the dice. OF course ill do more research into the car though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Well at least I feel more confident asking for a lower price.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Dozy_production

10+ year member
Poel
Dozy_production
San Diego, CA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date