Saab 2 Ohms Amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

dspargo

MA
I have a factory amp in my Saab that puts out 40 watts X2. It is a 2 ohms amp.

Do I have to use 2 ohms speakers. The choices are limited.

In the Saab forum they say you must use 2 ohms speakers but I thought I would come to the experts.

I understand that 4 ohms ones will be quieter but are there any other negatives like running my amp a bit hot, etc.?

To get the most out of that amp, yes, you should get 2 ohms speakers. At 4ohms, it wouldn't be putting out much power. Would you be willing to upgrade the amp as well? This will open up your options quite a bit.

The issue with upgrading the amp is that the car uses a fiber optic system and system sounds run through that amp. Yesterday I installed some Boston Acoustics SE 65 that sound good to me but it bugs me that there is a mismatch for ohms.. I wish there was a Boston Acoustics 6 1/2 that was lower for ohms AND didn't need so much power. I had some CDTs installed per recommendations from the forum and they sounded excellent. I blew one of them and I think it was from being underpowered.

I could from the output of the amp but would rather not do that if possible.

I guess my question is this...is it just the volume that is lowered by using my setup? Any other sound related issues using my amp with 4 ohms speakers?

You're thinking about it wrong. Your amp is 2 ohm stereo stable. Means it can safely drive multiple 2 ohm speakers. This also means it can safely drive any speaker with higher resistance - anything above 2 ohms. You just lose output if you run 4 ohm speakers since your amp puts out no more than 20 watts into 4 ohms. So your resistance isn't "mismatched," you're just lacking power in your amp.

Makes total sense now...thank you! I've yet to see someone describe it that way for this particular Saab setup...much appreciated.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.