Sa8 For computer?

PapaGeno21
10+ year member

Captain Questions
Ok so I just picked up an SA8 from woofercooker. I am going to either toss it in my girls car or the idea I really like is using it with my computer speaker system.

I can build the box the way I would for the car. .7 ported at 35 blah blah blah.

My problem is how do I hook it up? I got the D4 so I can run it at an 8 ohm load if necessary, and I currently have a Logitech 5.1 surround sound for the comp. I basically want to replace my sub with the SA8.

Is there a way that I can get a crappy little amp from walmart that the gangsters think puts out 1K watts, and use that POS to power the SA8? Could the logitech stuff somehow send the proper signal to a car amp and then the car amp just pushes the sub?

I know I would need a 12V PSU from a computer to run the car amp, that is not an issue.

Just wondering if this is possible. I think it would be badass to have an SA8 flush mounted into my computer desk.

Thanks!

I may spend around 50 on an amp. I really don't care what it is as long as it can run 2 ohms. The amp is not my concern right now, its how I hook everything up to make this work.

What do you mean?

The speaker setup now is basically the subwoofer is like the control tower. Everything plugs into that box. I am guessing if I just take the wires that go to the subwoofer and connect them to the SA8 there is just not enough power to do shit with it.

As far as the line in would this work?

If I have a sound card that had a subwoofer output 3.5mm jack, can I run one of these.

3.5mm_male_to_rca_female.jpg

Then that just goes to the input on the amp?

I understand how to power the amp, and how to hook that part of it up. What is not so clear to me is basically getting the line in, and also volume control. Basically this will be a stand alone system and not actually be hooked into my Logitech stuff. I just looked inside the sub I currently have and that is not going to have anything to do with what I am planning. I will just disconnect that speaker and leave the rest alone so that the subs aren't interfering with each other.

Yung SD200-6 200W Class D Subwoofer Amp Module w/6dB@35Hz 301-506

What about that? That takes care of the power supply and amp all in one just like the one listed earlier its just a TON cheaper.

There are quite a few of them.

Question is this. I get one of those and hook it up, what do I use for line in? And then how do you control the volume of the sub? Also, is it always turned on or do you have to manually turn it on and off every time you turn on your computer with the switch in the back?

Oh and another issue. I have a D4 ohm sub coming. So these plate amps are not 2 ohm stable, and they will not make crap for power at 8.

I think the car amp is going to win this round due to low impedance stability and just power for money.

I figured I would put an update.

Its been done now since Thursday i just have been busy and forgot to do an update.

This little thing slams! I have the power switch and bass knob next to my logitech controller. It works great.

IMAG0696_zps6ebd9a83.jpg

DSCF7660_zpsc5b3de66.jpg

DSCF7686_zps1bce3607.jpg

DSCF7683_zpse67d026e.jpg

DSCF7682_zps269816f2.jpg

DSCF7675_zpsee8df0af.jpg

DSCF7674_zps60663393.jpg

DSCF7692_zps4da7a771.jpg

DSCF7693_zps2fcbe332.jpg

DSCF7698_zps33d8016b.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

PapaGeno21

10+ year member
Captain Questions
PapaGeno21
Rhode Island
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date