sa 12" subs

Participant count
  • Participant list
what ^ft sould i shot for ?
im getting 4 of these.

will be on 2 - 2200 rms amps.
Sundown states 1.5-2cuft per. I had 1 in 2.2 cuft roughly. It did lows decently but i always felt there was a lack of sound quality. Im fairly certain putting it in a smaller box would have accomplished that. If your going for numbers. Obviously go for 8cuft or so. Might want to play with power levels/excursion/box size in that area on a box sim.

thanks very much. i was looking at sundown site and di dread that.

but was wandering on the power im going to run them at was not sure if i should do smaller or bigger box.

and ya i want loud ..

so 2^ft per sub. total of 8^ft .

whats a good tunning for these.

i would like some hair tricks if i can. but also want it loud.

if i had to pick it would be loud as i can get it. more spl.

also 1 more...

if you had your choice would you do 4- hds212 or 4 sa 12's ?

it looks like the sa's have more throw. but im not good with knowing what all the specs mean.

there's a guy wants to trade my 4- hds subs for his 4- sa 12"

thanks for taking the time and responding.

thanks very much. i was looking at sundown site and di dread that.but was wandering on the power im going to run them at was not sure if i should do smaller or bigger box.

and ya i want loud ..

so 2^ft per sub. total of 8^ft .

whats a good tunning for these.

i would like some hair tricks if i can. but also want it loud.

if i had to pick it would be loud as i can get it. more spl.

also 1 more...

if you had your choice would you do 4- hds212 or 4 sa 12's ?

it looks like the sa's have more throw. but im not good with knowing what all the specs mean.

there's a guy wants to trade my 4- hds subs for his 4- sa 12"

thanks for taking the time and responding.
There is this thread going on right now. A 3in voice coil might not be a bad idea. http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofers/630094-best-sub-i-can-get-200-a.html

Is there any reason why your going 4 12''s instead of 3 15''s or the like?

between those two, id go with the Sa-12s hands down. By design the Sa-12s have better cooling and are well known for their power handling up to about 1k(slightly higher sometimes). Do a google search. There are tonss of threads on google about soundqubed vs sundowns.

When it comes to xmax specifically. Thats a concern for a low frequencies. Basically under tuning. X-max comes into play with unloading under tuning or on a ton of power near the 35hz. Shortly, more x-max means louder lows without over-excursion. If you are shooting for just numbers, id build your wall. Do a freq sweep. Check your cabin gain peak and use an aero port to tune to that freq. Itl'll be a one note wonder but itll net you a 3-6db gain in that tuning. Hell, if you wanted, you could have two separate aeroports. One for around 35 hz for musicality and one for whatever cabin gain is, probably like 45hz ish. Im not a fan of square ports. They just seem inefficient as hell to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would prefer the sa's over the hds but make me wonder why he wants to trade 4 12's for 4 12's

It's not like either way is going to gain you 10db on the meter

The SA is much better than hds200 which is a 2.5" coil as well. It is the hds300 that is 3" coil

I ran an sa12 in 3cu....on 2k daily. They can take abuse. On your power, i wouldnt even concern the box design with power handling. Build the box exactly as it suits your music tastes and goals.

good info .. thanks guys.

why do i want to trade 4-12 for 4-12 ... good question..

because it looks like the sa's are a better sub ... that why.

spec wise there close but it sounds like most would take the sa over the hds2 subs..

but its not a dont deal yet.... were going to meet up on sunday.

well it all started with he has an amp that i want . and was just going to buy it but we got to talking and we came up with a trade.

so we will see if this goes throw. i hope but im not holding my breath..lol

no matter what subs , i want loud / hair tricks ... or as loud as i can get.

and i tried not making this into a soundqubed / sundown thread.

There is this thread going on right now. A 3in voice coil might not be a bad idea. http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofers/630094-best-sub-i-can-get-200-a.html
Is there any reason why your going 4 12''s instead of 3 15''s or the like?

between those two, id go with the Sa-12s hands down. By design the Sa-12s have better cooling and are well known for their power handling up to about 1k(slightly higher sometimes). Do a google search. There are tonss of threads on google about soundqubed vs sundowns.

When it comes to xmax specifically. Thats a concern for a low frequencies. Basically under tuning. X-max comes into play with unloading under tuning or on a ton of power near the 35hz. Shortly, more x-max means louder lows without over-excursion. If you are shooting for just numbers, id build your wall. Do a freq sweep. Check your cabin gain peak and use an aero port to tune to that freq. Itl'll be a one note wonder but itll net you a 3-6db gain in that tuning. Hell, if you wanted, you could have two separate aeroports. One for around 35 hz for musicality and one for whatever cabin gain is, probably like 45hz ish. Im not a fan of square ports. They just seem inefficient as hell to me.
o and forgot to answer your q about why 4-12 over 3-15"

well it comes down to having 4-12" ..

i had planed on doing 4-15" thats why i picked a hdc3 15" up. but man really cant afford them...

and i got the hds212 for a good price so was just going to use them.

so sure i would love 4-15" but just cant do it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.