S10/Blazer Coolant temp sensor

on my 95 c1500 4.3 it has 2... 1 for the gauge and 1 for the sensor. The one for the gauge is on the drivers side head near the exhaust. The one for the engine comp is ontop of the intake manifold

Well it's running pretty rough; but the gauge doesn't work either. I better just do both since I'm draining the coolant anyways. The code that came up didn't specify. Thanks for the crazy fast reply.

depends on if you have a TBI 4.3 or a CMFI 4.3

TBI:

0900823d8018b924.jpg

CMFI:

0900823d8018b925.jpg

it's tbi; ive torn off the upper round intake before & saw the injectors. It's not my trunk im working on though.

What code did you have
I dont remember what code came up; but the book that comes wih my obdI scanner for gm's said coolant temp sensor. Like I said, his gauge doesn't work at all, so I'm just going to replace both sensors so I know their good.

Problem is my friend knows nothing about cars(maybe less then nothing), and thinks fixing this one little sensor will be a miracle cure. I told the guy I think he has rust in either his fuel pump or tbi injectors; cause the truck sat for a few years before he got it. Less intelligent people always seem to be the ones even less likely to listen to people's advice & shared knowledge.

are you sure that there are 2 sensors? i don't see alot of old s10's like that is the reason i ask, because most everything i see has one sensor and the information is shared between different modules. if the car sat for that long, does it even run, and if so i would test the 5-volt reference and signal circuits at that sensor.

There is a sensor on the drivers side head, it doesn't look much like a temp sensor though, the truck runs, but barely. stalls out when you hit the gas or put it into drive. kicks out black smoke too.

Well, yesterday I replaced the sensor on top of the intake. The gauge still doesn't work; but it runs infinitely better. No stalling sputtering or misfires at all. It does still kick out black smoke though when you gas it; so it still might have bad gas or a choked up exhaust. Thank you for those pictures, they helped alot.

As mentioned the sensor for the gauge is in the head. You can easily test the gauge to make sure it's the sensor that needs to be replaced. Take the sensor wire and ground it somewhere on the truck. Turn the truck "on" not started and the gauge should peg all the way one way (up/hot).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

GreenBook

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
GreenBook
Michigan
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date