running wire and acceptable wire size

texaslawdog

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have been told that I should run new,heavier wire to new speakers while I'm installing an amp to non-amplified factory wiring.  And, my only thing left on the install is running wire from the cab to front door speakers. There are some things in the way under the front dash that is making it difficult, like the parking brake foot peddle mechanism.  My vehicle is a 2015 Ram 1500.  Thanks.

yes, sorry for that, is it right to install heavier gauge wire from amp to door speakers?  And, anyone have to run new wire to a truck like mine and how did they do it.

Depends on how much power you are running though the wiring.

I used the factory wiring in my ST on my PPI 900.4 but have 3 runs of 12 gauge in my SPL car since I was running alot of power to the doors.

My factory wiring was 14 gauge so it was plenty for just a 900.4

I would use the factory wiring. The worst part about adding new wire is those PITA molex plugs going from the doors to the cab. Pretty sure the gen 4 Rams have them.

I think you're right about the molex plugs though I don't know for sure.  It looks like the factory wiring is about 20 or possibly even 22 ga as it had no amplifier.  Seems to me that heavier ga wire needs to be there?  I have already rewired the rear door doors without any problems, but the front is a completely other story.

I think you're right about the molex plugs though I don't know for sure.  It looks like the factory wiring is about 20 or possibly even 22 ga as it had no amplifier.  Seems to me that heavier ga wire needs to be there?  I have already rewired the rear door doors without any problems, but the front is a completely other story.
If your wire is that small, I'd run new wire if you're talking about 100 watts RMS per channel. Car manufacturers are only going to install a thick enough wire for their weak radios, not full blown systems. It's just not a chance I'd want to take with that much of a power increase. If you had 16-14ga wire as some vehicles have, then you'd be ok.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.