Running Extra batteries...is an isolator needed??

Joe562MMA
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
its hit or miss theirs so many car audio guys ive heard say u dont need them there usless but yet my alternator builder is insisting i get one hes not making money or anything im getting it at cost free labor but he said it benefits what are some inputs on battery an running isolaters from personal experiences..

i have a 235 amp alternator one yellow top optima up front im gonna run too UPS 12-370FR batteries in the back with my sundown saz 2500d an 4 alpine type r 15s at .5 ohm

its hit or miss theirs so many car audio guys ive heard say u dont need them there usless but yet my alternator builder is insisting i get one hes not making money or anything im getting it at cost free labor but he said it benefits what are some inputs on battery an running isolaters from personal experiences..
i have a 235 amp alternator one yellow top optima up front im gonna run too UPS 12-370FR batteries in the back with my sundown saz 2500d an 4 alpine type r 15s at .5 ohm
Where do you train bro? Who do you like tonight? I think junior is gonna take it. But I'm a fan of Mir. He seems like a cool guy but most of mma guys are.

it keeps your two different batteries (age, size, technology) from messing each other up. it really is only needed if your vehicle is off for a long time. when the isolator is off, it removes the connection between the connected batteries. basically an automatic terminal remover lol.

If your not playing your system with your car off, you do not need an isolator.
This is correct. The isolator keeps the back batteries from pulling off the front one, usually. So if you have say a few batts in the back, you can run them dry and still start your car because it won't draw from the front battery. We have a lot of vans with tv's and power converters that we do this with.

dont use a isolator use a large 200amp relay cause the isolator you loose .5 volt.

the reason you MUST use a relay if all ur batterys arent the same is agm like to sit high in the 13.2v range where gel and wet sit at 12.8. sitting a few hrs the wet battery will draw the agm down and train the battery to keep a lower voltage and thus weaken the battery.

if all batterys are the same you are fine...

ok cool thanks im gonna run 2 runs of 2/0 welding wire to the power an 2 for the ground wire the batteries in parallel an i think im gonna grab a 500amp relay just incase? or is 2 enough?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.