Round ports

Whatever happened to the round ports? I understand that technology has advanced and all, but the round porst were all I used to see. Now the slot type ports are the norm. Are they more efficient than the round ones?
i do aero/round ports because i can build a smaller box because they dont take up as much, also they are much easier to tune. if you build and dont like the tuning you can always cut a couple inches off or extend it a couple test until you get it where you want it vs building a slot port if you mess up/dont like the tuning you have to start all over. Efficiency, ive read and been told that but dont take that into account much. I had some success with both slot and aeros but have used aero more then anything. I currently use a slot because the sub i just got already had a slot port box built that its in, so im using it for a temp until i build a new box amd use aeros it

What it is, I have a 10" Type R sealed. I was wanting to try a ported enclosure but I'm kinda lost on finding dimensions. I looked at the PSP calculator and came up with a 2" port roughly 5" long. This is a flared port. Does this sound right? It is tuned at 35 Hz.

Thanks for your help!

Pi x Radius(squared) will get you the surface area of the port. The tuning frequency desired along with the enclosure size will determine length.

To find the displacement of a round port apply the same formula(Pi x radius[2]) but make sure you include the thickness of the port material, then multiply that times the length of the port and you'll have the volume displaced by the port.

Good rule of thumb is at least 12sq inches of port per cubic ft, with 15sq inches of port area being optimum.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.