Rockford Fosgate 6.5 vs Hertz with this setup?

Participant count
  • Participant list

jeeper2269
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I have a set of fosgate punch 6.5s on a pioneer gma4704 amp, likely getting about 40 watts.

they sound pretty good and get decently loud. However, I think they could do a little better.

I have a 12” FI Q in a porter enclosure in the Jeep as well.

I am wondering if you guys would recommend going with the Hertz dcx 165.3 instead of the fosgates for the next Jeep. I will be getting one of the amps recommended in another thread to run the comp speakers.

Attachments

• E874605E-29F3-4C24-886A-1BA566F94A73.png
    E874605E-29F3-4C24-886A-1BA566F94A73.png
    88.7 KB · Views: 177
  • F0C5E9AE-CC8F-41C2-93A2-3839BB7EA4A2.png
    F0C5E9AE-CC8F-41C2-93A2-3839BB7EA4A2.png
    112.5 KB · Views: 178
Sorry, I had a set of Polks years ago and was not impressed at all.

is it that these are “marine” speakers that makes them louder than others?

Sorry, I had a set of Polks years ago and was not impressed at all.

is it that these are “marine” speakers that makes them louder than others?
depends on what model. sensitivity is what you need to look for, minimum of 92 db sensitivity for anything decently loud. Fosgate speakers arent loud at all in every line i've heard.

Both the Hertz and Polk Audio DB series are good. I'd say the Hertz are better but for the price you pay, well it depends on your budget. Keep in mind that sound deadening the door and plugging the holes will make a larger difference than the difference of the Polk to the Hertz almost certainly. For this reason I'd say if the money saved will let you afford sound deadening then go that route. Jeeps doors are very light, I imagine you could improve their enclosure properties quite a bit.

A lot of full range speakers get a bad rep because the door could barely accept the power of the stock speakers without bad resonance or rattling. In other words it's not really the fault of the aftermarket gear, it's that the door has poor audio properties and you're multiplying the wattage by 10x, it's just going to lead to the door's issues sounding worse or at best the same.

Both the Hertz and Polk Audio DB series are good. I'd say the Hertz are better but for the price you pay, well it depends on your budget. Keep in mind that sound deadening the door and plugging the holes will make a larger difference than the difference of the Polk to the Hertz almost certainly. For this reason I'd say if the money saved will let you afford sound deadening then go that route. Jeeps doors are very light, I imagine you could improve their enclosure properties quite a bit.

A lot of full range speakers get a bad rep because the door could barely accept the power of the stock speakers without bad resonance or rattling. In other words it's not really the fault of the aftermarket gear, it's that the door has poor audio properties and you're multiplying the wattage by 10x, it's just going to lead to the door's issues sounding worse or at best the same.

i will be looking into that, as well as the hard top.

what about the jbl s? I have been reading a lot of good things

i will be looking into that, as well as the hard top.

what about the jbl s? I have been reading a lot of good things
The hertz you mentioned are some of the worst ones they make, they hardly make anything bad, but usually a company can only corner the market on one or two price ranges. I think probably the JBLs are about equivalent, but the polk that audiobaun linked is very good for its price. With hertz you get what you pay for and with JBL you tend to get a little less than what you pay for in my opinion. a $180 speaker from JBL is likely to outperform the polk or the hertz that was already linked, but other options exist in that price range that should blow the jbls out of the water.

Does that $180 represent the budget you're trying to stay within? If so we can talk other speakers or If you're okay going higher for quality then certainly you're going to have some of the best options in the market like the Mille Hertz series, Focal 165.3s, among others that Jeff and others are more familiar with but we'd probably all agree are better than anything JBL puts out.

In my opinion best bang for the buck, those polks are hard to beat. If you want better then it's worth getting into Hertz, Focal, and Audiofrog line-ups for starters, your budget is the most important part of your ideal speaker match and you haven't given it yet.

The hertz you mentioned are some of the worst ones they make, they hardly make anything bad, but usually a company can only corner the market on one or two price ranges. I think probably the JBLs are about equivalent, but the polk that audiobaun linked is very good for its price. With hertz you get what you pay for and with JBL you tend to get a little less than what you pay for in my opinion. a $180 speaker from JBL is likely to outperform the polk or the hertz that was already linked, but other options exist in that price range that should blow the jbls out of the water.

Does that $180 represent the budget you're trying to stay within? If so we can talk other speakers or If you're okay going higher for quality then certainly you're going to have some of the best options in the market like the Mille Hertz series, Focal 165.3s, among others that Jeff and others are more familiar with but we'd probably all agree are better than anything JBL puts out.

In my opinion best bang for the buck, those polks are hard to beat. If you want better then it's worth getting into Hertz, Focal, and Audiofrog line-ups for starters, your budget is the most important part of your ideal speaker match and you haven't given it yet.

thats interesting. The reviews have been pretty bad on the polks. As far as I am finding. And the JBL 629 has really good reviews. Thank you for the input. Definitely helps me decide

I've got Polk in my '78 911. They have excellent mid bass and clarity in the highs. They are priced right and handle a good bit of power. I have Hertz Mille Pro's in my truck. They sound nice and handle a lot of power. When it comes to bang for the buck, I'd probably go with the Polk in the truck if I were to do it again.

I've got Polk in my '78 911. They have excellent mid bass and clarity in the highs. They are priced right and handle a good bit of power. I have Hertz Mille Pro's in my truck. They sound nice and handle a lot of power. When it comes to bang for the buck, I'd probably go with the Polk in the truck if I were to do it again.

I noticed the JBLs are rated at 93 db and Polk are 92. I wonder if they will get loud enough. Just basing that off of what was previously mentioned

I noticed the JBLs are rated at 93 db and Polk are 92. I wonder if they will get loud enough. Just basing that off of what was previously mentioned
The difference is earsplitting vs earsplitting at their peak rms wattage volume. 92 is still a very good sensitivity. The ones you want to avoid are in the mid 80's or lower if you're trying to get high volume from them.

thats interesting. The reviews have been pretty bad on the polks. As far as I am finding. And the JBL 629 has really good reviews. Thank you for the input. Definitely helps me decide

Ebay reviews? That's the lowest of the low in terms of accurate information. The only thing worse might be amazon reviews. Check Crutchfield.

They don't carry the 629s, but you can tell by the difference in reviews between the brands that the DB series is pretty well respected in the industry. A lot of people have been steered their way.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.