Rob's Custom Kick Pod Build Log/ Mini Guide

Th3pWn3r
10+ year member

Post Number: 99,999
Hey guys, this is my custom kick pod build log with LOTS of pictures. Enjoy! This was a pain in the azz by the way with the contours in the vehicle which is a 1989 CRX Si with B16A swap and full bolt ons.

DriversDoor.jpg

Here we have the driver's side door and once closed we pretty much have no room for any decent setup here.

StockKick.jpg

Here we have our driver's side kick which will have to be where we place our pods.

RightSideKick.jpg

Passenger side kick.

DriverMask1.jpg

This is the first step to making custom kick pods after you have the vision in your mind. You have to mask off the area where you're going to create mold. I recommend that you mask off a large area so you don't get resin all over your carpet and ruin your interior. I used foil and tape to prevent any leak-through.

PassengerMask1.jpg

Passenger side masked off.

DriverMask3.jpg

Driver's side fully masked. Note the clutch pedal clearance, not much.

PassengerMask2.jpg

Passenger side fully masked. After finishing the masking you have to draw out the shape of your pods as best as possible.

DriverMatLaidout.jpg

Here you can see where I laid out my fiberglass cloth and traced through my old shape drawn on the masking.

PassengerMatLaidout.%20jpg

Here's the passenger side mat marked off, I'll have to say that I'm not a fan of mat and that I'll use cloth every time from now on.

Latex.jpg

Very important to have these latex gloves, I recommend buying them in bulk. They'll protect your skin and your hands won't be impossible to clean.

FaceMask.jpg

Another very important tool in using resin/fiberglass always use one of these masks, the fumes can burn your face just so you know.

ResinMixed.jpg

Resin all mixed up. I recommend you buy some cheap disposable bowls and get several of them. Make sure not to use too much hardener when mixing the resin or it will set or dry extremely fast. I recommend too little hardener than too much but make sure you mix it THOROUGHLY and mix it as you use it to avoid settling of the hardener.

curious to see how they turn out, i cant see that FG cloth for the base turning out great... i always expierenced tons of bubbles when using FG weave in this method. much easier to rip\tear FG matte and it ends up stronger beacuse theres more criss crossing of the material.

but im real curious as to how this turns out.

PassengerMatLaidout.%20jpg

I recommend too little hardener than too much but make sure you mix it THOROUGHLY and mix it as you use it to avoid settling of the hardener.

I disagree. I would say to be on the safe side read the instructions. Too little MEKP can be just as big a problem as too much. Granted with to much MEKP you run the risk of curing at to quick of a rate causing cracking. But with to little MEKP you can end up with a soggy slimy mess that takes months to cure fully. Causing you to mix up a batch hotter than normal ( which you stated you didn't like ) resin to apply over the uncured resin. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.