Road noise

Participant count
  • Participant list

mochadelight

Hello all,

I want to try and reduce the amount of road noise coming into the car. I was going to use Dynamat extreme but a friend said it's not good for road noise and meant to stop vibration.

So can anyone share some advice on good value sound deadening products ?

Also is it worth adding deadening to the exterior wheel wells ?

I wanted to do the trunk and the floor pan.

Spend the money on good cld. Knukonceptz kollosus is a good value to performance. 25% coverage is typical. Then use a ccf, raamaudio.com peel and stick ensolite is great and not too expensive. Then use mlv, 1lb per Sq ft from tmsoundproofing.com will save you some money there. The mlv will do the most for road noise, you'll want the entire floorboard covered, and also every inch that you use mlv, you'll want the ccf between the mlv and the floor. Overlap any breaks in the mlv and use contact cement to seal them.

Hello all,
I want to try and reduce the amount of road noise coming into the car. I was going to use Dynamat extreme but a friend said it's not good for road noise and meant to stop vibration.

So can anyone share some advice on good value sound deadening products ?

Also is it worth adding deadening to the exterior wheel wells ?

I wanted to do the trunk and the floor pan.
Mass is whats needed to block out noise. This is a good economical solution. Stinger roadkill is a better brand of deadening that cost less. You'll still want to just use some deadener on the large flat surfaces that is subjected to a lot of vibration to reduce some resonance. You dont need 100% coverage. Anyplace thats connected to metal or have a bend, they do not need coverage. However the mass loaded vinyl substitute i'm recommending would require 100% coverage. Use 3m 90 adhesive spray for the floors. For the doors you might need to screw them on.

4 ft. x 8 ft. Acoustical Barrier-DB348X96BX - The Home Depot

Spend the money on good cld. Knukonceptz kollosus is a good value to performance. 25% coverage is typical. Then use a ccf, raamaudio.com peel and stick ensolite is great and not too expensive. Then use mlv, 1lb per Sq ft from tmsoundproofing.com will save you some money there. The mlv will do the most for road noise, you'll want the entire floorboard covered, and also every inch that you use mlv, you'll want the ccf between the mlv and the floor. Overlap any breaks in the mlv and use contact cement to seal them.
If I use a CLD, CCF and then MLV would that add too much thickness ? Cause it would be under the seats and trim etc.

I live in Australia so finding products here is a bit tricky but i'll have a look at the ones you recommended.

Mass is whats needed to block out noise. This is a good economical solution. Stinger roadkill is a better brand of deadening that cost less. You'll still want to just use some deadener on the large flat surfaces that is subjected to a lot of vibration to reduce some resonance. You dont need 100% coverage. Anyplace thats connected to metal or have a bend, they do not need coverage. However the mass loaded vinyl substitute i'm recommending would require 100% coverage. Use 3m 90 adhesive spray for the floors. For the doors you might need to screw them on.
4 ft. x 8 ft. Acoustical Barrier-DB348X96BX - The Home Depot
Thanks you for the help !

Unfortunately I live in Australia so the products I have access to are very limited. How do I know if the MLV product requires 100% floor coverage or not ?

Would I use spray adhesive to secure the closed cell foam down and then spray adhesive to secure the MLV down to the CCF?

Is all CCF and MLV the same ?

How does Dynamat/Stinger Road kill/ Fatmat etc compare with Focal Bam ?

Is it worth remove the trim in the wheel well and adding product there ?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.