RF P6002 is blown, repair or replace?

Wattser93
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
RF says it's $130 to have it repaired, is it worth it?

It's this one Rockford Fosgate and looks like that minus the chrome plate that covers the side with all the inputs/outputs. I was gifted it by a very nice family friend along with a 12" Type-R D4 in a prefab sealed enclosure of about 1.3-1.5 cu ft. I know it's not the best set up at all but it was a nice gesture and I appreciated it.

I was hoping to build a ported enclosure tuned for what SQ I can get out of the Type-R until I hooked it up and the amp was blown. I know the Type-R is a bad SQ sub, but when I show him my car and he sees me using the equipment he gave me it will make his day.

If I showed him my stereo with other equipment in it than what he gave me it would be disrespectful (if any of you know Asian culture you know the importance of respect, it would be disrespectful of me to ignore his gift and buy something else for my car) and the respect we have for each other is MUCH more important than my stereo.

Side note aside, what are my options for the amp? RF wants $130, I've contacted other places and it hasn't been any cheaper with them so I'm in a bind, what should I do? Anybody who can fix it for cheaper around here?

Thanks for your time and I appreciate any positive input. PLEASE no ALPINE = CRAP or RF *****, etc.

Usually when Rockford takes a amp in they just swap out the board for another one..its a good deal..send it to them...When dealing with them..they wont take in just any amp for repair..and I mean there are some of their own they wont take..if they are willing to work on it..you should do it while they still have replacement parts for it...

I would get it repaired, im sure some of the amp repair people on here will chime in and maybe offer a better price, probably not much better though. If RF is gonna put a whole new board in it thats not a bad deal. That way you still have a good amp and dont offend your friend or whatever. Until your bass comes into his home, and disrespect his famiry.

might be worth it, especially for the cultural stuff you talked about. Those are decent amps
I second this. I'd like that amp to run my components. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif It does good power for a pair of speakers or entry level subs on each channel, or one mid level sub bridged. The only issue I see, is that your Type R is a D4, and you won't be able to run it bridged to get 600W to the sub. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif The Type R would like about 600W, instead of just 300.

What I would recommend is a large ported box (as large as Alpine recommends or larger) tuned low. A large box would make up for you not having as much power, and a large box + tuning low should help you on the SQ end.

You could probably even get another Type R to put on the other channel, run each off of 300W in a big box tuned low. I'm sure your friend would like that, seeing as how you took what he gave you, and improved on it by adding more to it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

and you won't be able to run it bridged to get 600W to the sub.
with good electrical, that amp will run 2ohm mono no problem. And being its probably actually rated at 700+, he could keep the gain at a respectable level. It may be unadvisable, but on decent electrical, those amps run 2ohm mono easily

with good electrical, that amp will run 2ohm mono no problem. And being its probably actually rated at 700+, he could keep the gain at a respectable level. It may be unadvisable, but on decent electrical, those amps run 2ohm mono easily
I tried running an amp that was 297x1 @ 4 ohm bridged down to 2 ohm bridged and it wasn't happening. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif Stock electrical, but really, what kind of electrical should 500W need? Even if it's an AB amp...

Just my personal experience, I was unable to run my AB amps below rated impedance...

I tried running an amp that was 297x1 @ 4 ohm bridged down to 2 ohm bridged and it wasn't happening. Stock electrical, but really, what kind of electrical should 500W need? Even if it's an AB amp...
Just my personal experience, I was unable to run my AB amps below rated impedance...
i ran a fosgate 250.2 at 2ohm mono for monthes and it cut out twice on a cross state trip, other than that, never...will say I popped a fuse or 2 tho..lol

lol, mine would cut out mid music and then come back in, only to clip again. Even with 4 gauge wire. What kind of 300W amp needs 4 gauge wire? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

I would repair it. That's a pretty good deal. It could be done for cheaper, but I don't imagine too much. I'd have Rockford do the repair because if there's a problem they almost always have to fix it.

consider that the P6002 was less than $300 new. Then consider personal value. If it is worth it to YOU to have it repaired (and you're going to get a warranty on that repair) then it's worth it. If you feel that $130 would be better applied toward a different amplifier, then that's the best route to take.

does that $130 include freight both ways

i would not fix the amp it is a punch series yes? and not a power series

i would put that $130 toward a new amp

and i would sell the blown amp as in the WTB section there are a few guys that like buying blown amps

that is just my feeling

Just send it to rockford and pay the 130.00, Have a peace of mind knowing that you have a pretty close to a new amplifier and a warranty. And keep face with your family friend.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.