Review: ZED Mikro IV

mat3833
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
florida
alright, first off i want to give a HUGE shoutout to the Vertex Audio team. without andrew and his crew i wouldnt have this amp to review let alone run.

got the amp this morning and unpacked it. the amp is MUCH smaller than it seems in pictures. the build quality on this thing is fantastic, i dont have the proper wrench/socket to remove the RCA's to get gut shots but i will as soon as i can find one. knobs and switches operate smoothly and feel nice, and the manual is AWESOME! its on a CD(didnt know what it was when i took the video), and doesnt just cover the Mikro.

here is a quick unboxing video:

http://s161.photobucket.com/user/mat3833/media/VIDEO0001.mp4.html

now onto the good stuff

preliminary listening impression:

i really should cover install and crap first, but i dont feel like typing that boring crap up before i give my first quick listening impression.

first here is the setup im running:

Pioneer DEH-P6000ub headunit

Zed Mikro IV front stage amp

MB Quart 218.61Q comps(passive)

Monster RCA's

Stinger speaker wire

Mmats D2100.2 sub amp

JBL GT MKII 15 sub

the only change made was pulling out a Coustic Power Logic Amp-286 and putting the Mikro in and setting the gain by ear just like i did the coustic using the same song(Metallica-Battery)

just took my room-mate to work and had a chance to listen to the amp for about 20 min at moderate volume. with the EQ flat and just using the headunit crossover all i can say is WOW. the coustic is by no means a low grade amp, it may be old, but it sounds great and always has even running bridged. the Mikro is on a whole different level. when i was running the coustic i had to cut the top end on the EQ by a good bit. the only EQ i have running the Mikro is -1 at 2K to clean up the crossover point. honestly i could run the EQ dead flat and it sounds tons better than the coustic or really any amp ive ran.

i have been fighting to tame the Tweets since i put them in. simply swapping the Mikro in COMPLETLEY changed how they sound. highs are still bright(how i like them) but not even remotley harsh. i really have no way to describe the change other than fantastic. "Pantera-Cemetary Gates" has always had a hard harmonic in the guitar throughout the song, using the EQ i had mostly tamed it running the coustic. once again, the Mikro running flat has almost completley removed the harmonic. playing "Santana- Black Magic Woman" is a completley diferent experiance now. i dont have the ability to run time alignment yet, and as such my stage is centered. but even sitting in the driver's seat it now sounds like the stage is much wider. playing songs that bounce from left to right channel alot(Avenged Sevenfold - Save Me) sound much better. midbass is "fuller" but still not where i want it(my doors are still not finished. COMPLETLEY not the amps fault here.). there is more detail in the 80-400hz region and things just sound smoother and warmer.

overall, in the first 20 minutes of listening to this amp i can honestly say that i am more than impressed. i cant wait to get to open this thing up and see what how it sounds at full tilt.

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
re-uploading it now
Matt
Cool.Would love to run a high dollar Zed.Maybe one of these days. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/2thumbs.gif.fdc3ba010dbb42b61704534b46d02fe4.gif

Thanks Matt! Are you going to verify output power on the amp? I'm considering picking these up and was curious.
i dont have a reliable way to clamp output. but i have absolutley no doubt this thing will do rated+more. i will do a basic 1K sine wave and read voltage up to audible distortion/clippping test and that really should be plenty.

Matt

Thanks Matt! Are you going to verify output power on the amp? I'm considering picking these up and was curious.
I was at the Zed shop with Steve when he performed one of his tests on this amplifier and have a Minotaur III that I've done my own home tests with which features a protective circuit designed to ramp voltage down if it gets too high as automatic protection. Before I reached this setpoint, I was AT rated power.

Steve is very thorough with testing his amplifiers, but to say it does XXX RMS watts is a fallacy in his mind. Don't ever expect him to care about what power numbers his amps put out since music is a dynamic material. That discussion is a mainstay in his manual.

Btw, these Mikro amps are RIDICULOUSLY tiny. Matt himself does not have ginormous hands. Cased, this amp runs at 9" long and about 4-5" tall. I would liken it to a PPI P900.4, but at less depth and significantly better build quality on the connections and pots. Inside, the board is a beauty, too. Each element is clearly laid out and it is internally fused with a 30A Maxi immediately behind the power, ground, and remote connections.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

mat3833

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
mat3833
florida
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies