Resin coating..

Strecker25
10+ year member

Better than everyone
you guys think covering the inside of the box with 1 or 2 coats of resin would help with bracing at all, obviously it would create an excllent seal but what about sealing the wood...ive heard that mdf has small pockets of air within itself.

another quick question is all i can find locally is shitty wood, its not quite mdf as its slightly lighter i mean its not like plywood or anything still 3/4 thick, think a few coats on this stuff would stiffen it up enough to be used? I used it in my previous box and the results were pretty decent...i just want the best i can get this time around

yea thats what i thought...wheres everyone usually get decent mdf in your areas my local depot, and pitkin have some other **** thats not very dense

I always get mine from home depot.. Do you have a lowes around? Ive never seen this store, but people sometimes say they get their wood at Mernards or somethin like that. Call up an install shop and see where they buy their wood.

Also try local cabinet places ...

You can get usually get 1" MDF from them ... and here, it's cheaper than the 3/4".

- Steve

you could use any type of wood you wanted if you covered the inside with a few layers of resin and fiberglass, you would then have a wood renforced fiberglass box. it would be like making a mold for a fiberglass box and leaving the mold on.

Which is pointless because I'd rather go out and buy the MDF, build the box, and call it a day .... rather then have to go out and buy the wood, the resin, the matt, the gloves, the paint brushes, and the drop cloths, build the box, line the inside with fiberglass, do a couple more layers, and call it a day.

Doesn't make much sense to me at all.

- Steve

Resin be it polyester or epoxy has no strength so it won't brace squat. It will however do a he!! of a job sealing it up and making it waterproof. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Which is pointless because I'd rather go out and buy the MDF, build the box, and call it a day .... rather then have to go out and buy the wood, the resin, the matt, the gloves, the paint brushes, and the drop cloths, build the box, line the inside with fiberglass, do a couple more layers, and call it a day.
Doesn't make much sense to me at all.

- Steve
yeah I woulnt either but was just adding to his original idea, if you are going to resin it you could just add some fiberglass will your at it, that add strenght, but yeah lots more work than just building a good box.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Strecker25

10+ year member
Better than everyone
Strecker25
Rochester, NY
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date