Removing Window Tint..anyone done it?

budahbuddy803
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Aiken, SC
Well, I have not been given a fix-it ticket or a written warning, but I went through a license check the other day and the police officer told me that I needed to have the tint removed from my rear windows (my front were rolled down). I have been indecisive on removing and putting on 27% all the way around, or just removing the front two window's tint and waiting for someone to tell me again to fix my rear windows.

I will call the place that did it tomorrow and ask what they charge to remove someone's tint they installed. If it is free, I will let them do it. If I get a discount on legal tint or something, I will go through with that. If they charge for removal and retail for the new tint, I would like to just remove the front two window's tint myself.

I hear the rear window is normally fairly difficult so I will not mess with that one. Anyone else remove window tint? From my understanding ammonia helps loosen the glue, heat is also benefitial, but for the most part you just start in a corner and work the tint and glue off with a razor. Any truth to this? What do I need to worry about?

use a heat gun. (not a hair dryer) and it will do just fine.

DO NOT USE A RAZOR ON THE REAR WINDOW!!! lol

there are defrost wires on the window that cut easily.....

use a heat gun. (not a hair dryer) and it will do just fine.DO NOT USE A RAZOR ON THE REAR WINDOW!!! lol

there are defrost wires on the window that cut easily.....
I am only doing the driver and passenger front windows. I heard that the heat wasn't even a big deal.... Would 80 degree temps in the sun with the ammonia work, or is the heat gun very necessary ?

just find the corner and start peeling the old the tint the more of a bitchhh it is ...after you get it off to get the left over glue off take acetone and scrub the hell out of it. Windex doesnt get the glue off well enough so you will have to use something like acetone or paint thinner some where along thoes lines

just find the corner and start peeling the old the tint the more of a bitchhh it is ...after you get it off to get the left over glue off take acetone and scrub the hell out of it. Windex doesnt get the glue off well enough so you will have to use something like acetone or paint thinner some where along thoes lines
Will this make it so that future tint wont be able to stick to the window?

if it were me i would you carb spray or brake cleaner, because it evaporates which means less chance of slopping it all over and no worries about damaging other things.

Put it this way, I would never attempt to take off tint without a heat gun....

That is what I thought. What utensil should I use, paper towels, mircrofiber, scrub brush?? The tint was put on right before this winter so it is kind of new...im hoping that doesnt make it more of a pita to get off.

Will this make it so that future tint wont be able to stick to the window?
Good question, but i do not think it will affect it unless you try to retint immediately without wiping the window dry first

Only time i've been pulled over in my car the cop was like "You got anyone with you? I cant even see through your windows man", thought he was gonna give me **** about the tint and he didnt even say anything after that, have 5% on rear window, 20% on doors, and a 5% 6-8" strip on top of windshield (nice for sun //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

How dark is yours?

That is what I thought. What utensil should I use, paper towels, mircrofiber, scrub brush?? The tint was put on right before this winter so it is kind of new...im hoping that doesnt make it more of a pita to get off.

Good question, but i do not think it will affect it unless you try to retint immediately without wiping the window dry first
i used a shitttyyy wash rag nothing special just something that will hold up. You should be able to get a razor blade and kinda get a little bit of the corner up pretty easily. Just make sure u go down with the window so you dont scratch it.

And no it will not affect future tint. I took off my old tint then had them retinted the next day. Acetone evaporates fast so you dont have to worry about it staying wet on your window.

Your driver and passenger window wont be bad. I did my back window and small side windows and was high as hell when i got out of my car haha

Only time i've been pulled over in my car the cop was like "You got anyone with you? I cant even see through your windows man", thought he was gonna give me **** about the tint and he didnt even say anything after that, have 5% on rear window, 20% on doors, and a 5% 6-8" strip on top of windshield (nice for sun //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
How dark is yours?
A different cop used his little gun and read 8% all the way around... i asked for 10%, but its whatever. I just do not want to ADD reason for a cop to pull me over. I already went and sanded my tinted tails and refinished those. I will probably retint all the way around ~27% to stay legal, but even then, cops may still pull me over to "test" the windows just to see if anything else is going on.... iono, i just feel safer getting rid of illegal components on the exterior of my vehicle.

i used a shitttyyy wash rag nothing special just something that will hold up. You should be able to get a razor blade and kinda get a little bit of the corner up pretty easily. Just make sure u go down with the window so you dont scratch it.
And no it will not affect future tint. I took off my old tint then had them retinted the next day. Acetone evaporates fast so you dont have to worry about it staying wet on your window.

Your driver and passenger window wont be bad. I did my back window and small side windows and was high as hell when i got out of my car haha
Thanks for all the help. Where can you get acetone, lowes, ace hardware, advance auto parts??? Thanks again.

The final number can not be determined before hand and meters vary by a few numbers. So they put 10 on but with what the window started with you end up with 8. NC is legal at 35 we use 39 to hit that.

No need for acetone, it will just mess up your doors and give you a headache. Scratch up a corner and then peal it down, Use glass cleaner and a razor to get the glue off if it leaves any.

At my shop we discount the strip if you get a full retint.

just get a petroleum based spray like Pure Orange Air freshener from Home Depot, peel back a little than spray and watch the glue get eaten like chocolate cake at fat camp.

Well, I went out today and did my drive and passenger front windows. I did not use a hair dryer, heat gun, or any acetone or ammonia. I was able to get a corner started with the razor and the rest just peeled off without any problems at all. Now, I just cant decide when I want to go get them done with legal tint.

And I just called the shop that did my original tint and they said it will still be $80 to remove the back three windows of my coupe and then the full $120 for a retint.... That annoys me a little bit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.