Remote wire showing varying voltage

TheShortGuy

CarAudio.com Newbie
I recently installed an old JL audio 1000/1 and two 10w7s in my vehicle. I noticed that the amp was staying on after the car was turning off and did some troubleshooting. Seems like I fixed that issue but while doing so I noticed my remote wire is showing a varying voltage amount when on. The voltage will range from 9-20v and changes frequently. Installed a resistor in-line and the voltage on the wire now doesn’t go above 14v but at the terminal it still varies.

I am assuming something internal with the amp has failed but what could it be? Any issue with running the amp still? Reached out to JL but haven’t heard back yet, just looking for additional input.

That can't be right. On your amp's terminals you have a big power wire, a big ground wire, and a little wire that is usually blue (w/ white stripe), and no bigger than 16awg. Even 16awg is overkill, but it's a good size so that the wire isn't so brittle you don't break the strands when working with it. The remote wire is the switch wire, and is only a few hundred MILLIvolts at most.

That can't be right. On your amp's terminals you have a big power wire, a big ground wire, and a little wire that is usually blue (w/ white stripe), and no bigger than 16awg. Even 16awg is overkill, but it's a good size so that the wire isn't so brittle you don't break the strands when working with it. The remote wire is the switch wire, and is only a few hundred MILLIvolts at most.
Yes I know what wires are which. The wire is a 12v lead off the deck, it has milliamperes not millivolts.

Are you using remote turn on or signal sensing turn on?

Jumper positive terminal to remote terminal and check voltage. That will tell you if it's amp issue or dick issue.

Are you using remote turn on or signal sensing turn on?

Jumper positive terminal to remote terminal and check voltage. That will tell you if it's amp issue or dick issue.

Remote turn on. Going to check it later this week. Almost 100% certain it's something with the amp. I am assuming that a resistor inside went bad or something along those lines.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...