Remote Wire not turning off amp

landon3636

CarAudio.com Newbie
I recently installed new subs and an amp into my 2010 Ford f150 with sony navigation. I converted the stock subwoofer speaker wires into RCA to connect to my after market amp. The remote wire is tapped into the fuse box in fuse 38 which controls subwoofers. Using my volt meter I determined that the fuse is a 12v and turns off when the key is out of ignition. However, the amp will not turn off when the car is off and it is draining my battery. I have had to jump my truck several times. When I unplug the remote wire from the fuse box the amp goes off but when I plug it back in it comes on and doesn't go off. I have tried tapping into other fuses (the stereo) but the amp is always on. Does anyone know how to fix this?

You could also experiment with another source for your remote wire. The accessory wire coming off the ignition, or the ignition controlled power wire to the radio, are suggestions. Try to find a wiring diagram online for your vehicle.

If the above suggestions don't solve your issue, wire an in-line switch for the remote wire. Place the switch where it is convenient for you when you are in the driver's seat, and don't forget to turn it off when you leave the vehicle.

Well, unless you have a wire strand from your amp's power wire sticking into the remote wire terminal, then it looks like your source may not turn off with the key. I suggest you find a better source to tap from.

You could also experiment with another source for your remote wire. The accessory wire coming off the ignition, or the ignition controlled power wire to the radio, are suggestions. Try to find a wiring diagram online for your vehicle.

If the above suggestions don't solve your issue, wire an in-line switch for the remote wire. Place the switch where it is convenient for you when you are in the driver's seat, and don't forget to turn it off when you leave the vehicle.
Thanks, I may look at the ignition wire. I also ordered a high low converter with a built in a switch that I will try if I can't find another source.

I would just do a 5 pin relay, and do a 4 pin 12v+ soft turn on with it, they automatically do soft turn on I believe. They're only a few bucks and not hard to wire.
Do you have any images or diagrams using those? I’m not familiar with them and wouldn’t know where to use them at.

RELAY_DIAGRAM_large.jpg

I used to always run my amp remotes off of a simple $5 toggle switch mounted on the dash, convenient because you can turn subs off when needed. Agree with what others have said. Check your wiring on the amp to make sure the power and remote wires aren't touching at all. If that's fine, look for another remove source. Your 12v socket may be a good candidate.

I recently installed new subs and an amp into my 2010 Ford f150 with sony navigation. I converted the stock subwoofer speaker wires into RCA to connect to my after market amp. The remote wire is tapped into the fuse box in fuse 38 which controls subwoofers. Using my volt meter I determined that the fuse is a 12v and turns off when the key is out of ignition. However, the amp will not turn off when the car is off and it is draining my battery. I have had to jump my truck several times. When I unplug the remote wire from the fuse box the amp goes off but when I plug it back in it comes on and doesn't go off. I have tried tapping into other fuses (the stereo) but the amp is always on. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Did u figure this out cause I'm have
Did u figure it out cause I'm having the same problem with my 2017 Enclave
Been messing with it going on 2 weeks.

Did u figure this out cause I'm have

Did u figure it out cause I'm having the same problem with my 2017 Enclave
Been messing with it going on 2 weeks.
The remote wire is just a switch wire. It's usually connected to the head unit, because that's the only time you need the amps on. Those switch wires, are very small, usually 100-300 millivolts to turn them on. The circuit he/you may have been using could have a very small parasitic draw on it, that might not be read depending on the setting of the multimeter, but could still be enough to trigger that tiny switch.

I would use a test light or make sure you have your multimeter testing millivolts when you check the circuits. If you can pull the head unit out, I would guess there has to be a switch wire back there, even something you could fuse tap into at last resort.

You could also wire it up to any accessory circuit, and it would come on when the vehicle is on.

That is also mostly the same vehicle as the GMC acadia, and (what is probably the more popular) Chevrolet Traverse. Have you checked any Chevy forums to see what they are connecting to?

If you are not able to get a reading from the remote wire off the HU, as stated, you can connect the amplifier remote wire into the Accessory in the fuse box which will allow the amplifier to turn on when the key ignition is is the On position and Off in the key off position. allowing the ON/OFF of the amplifier to work off the ignition On/Off. Keep note.. Its recommended/ best practice to turn the HU OFF before turning the Key off

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...