Remote wire connected to ground

Bracket

CarAudio.com Newbie
NL
Hi, I bought a used Hertz active sub (DBA 200.3) and the yellow wire in the wire harness is connected to the black ground wire (see pictures below).
1] I'm confused, is this correct? It looks like a factory wire harness. Should I leave it like this if I don't want an automatic on/off? Or should I disconnect the yellow wire completely it in that case?
2] And if I want automatic on/off I presume I connect the yellow remote wire to the yellow remote wire on the head unit as pictured in the manual?

Connection according to the manual:
1.jpg

This is how the sub wire harness is connected at the moment:
2.jpg

Last edited:
I would connect it to the radio. It is the most common way, so we know it is safe.
Thank you, I'm going to disconnect the yellow wire and try it without it first, then I connect it to the head unit yellow wire.

I still wonder why the yellow wire is connected to ground in the - as it seems - factory harness. Anyone has an idea about that?

Last edited:
Hi, I bought a used Hertz active sub (DBA 200.3) and the yellow wire in the wire harness is connected to the black ground wire (see pictures below).
1] I'm confused, is this correct? It looks like a factory wire harness. Should I leave it like this if I don't want an automatic on/off? Or should I disconnect the yellow wire completely it in that case?
2] And if I want automatic on/off I presume I connect the yellow remote wire to the yellow remote wire on the head unit as pictured in the manual?

Connection according to the manual:
View attachment 47350
This is how the sub wire harness is connected at the moment:
View attachment 47351
My experience is that if you want automatic on/off, you connect the yellow remote wire to the yellow remote wire on the head unit.
If you don't want automatic off/on, I suggest an inline switch in the cabin that allows you to control the on/off. OR, the wiring to the ground may work, if you don't want it to cut on/off automatically. Have you tried it? Which way do you want it?

Don't connect the remote wire to the ground, disconnect that. The remote wire is your switch wire (it's your power button). It's very little current, usually 100-300mv, but you are creating a new circuit when you add it to the ground, and drawing more current through those circuits that have been designed to handle that original amount.

It looks like you have a power button on the sub, so that you can turn it on or off at the sub. The remote wire connects to the head unit so that the sub won't draw power when the head unit is off. Why would you want it any other way? Your sub won't play if your head unit is off, (and that means when your car is off).

1. If you didn't want it, (AND YOU SHOULD WANT IT), you would connect that to the power wire. If you do, then it will always be getting the switch activated, and it will always be on. When your stereo is off the sub will be on. When your car is off, it will be on, drawing current from your battery.

2. Correct.

Thanks everyone, I connected the yellow wire from the sub to a blue wire on my pioneer head unit, which is for remote control apparently since it has a sticker on it that says so. The yellow wire is for the head unit memory. My bad that I didn't see that earlier. It doesn't matter much but I thought I'd mention it for reference.

The auto on/off works now so that's a good thing. And a good thing that I asked about the yellow wire connected to ground. Weird that it was connected this way evidently.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...