Refoaming??? Central FL

Participant count
  • Participant list

BassAddictJ
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
FL
Not sure how, but something gashed my psi/trf monster's foam really bad. Wondering if there's anyway to successfully salvage the rest and refoam it. would really hate to rip out the cone/spider/coil/leads that are all good just because the foam is fucked.

I'm in tampa but willing to drive to make this happen.

Opinions/Options??

Home depot, lowes, ace hardware all sell GOOP. The only one that works is all purpose in a blue tube with goop in beg red letters down it. Guaranteed it will work to repair even the most evil of surround abusers.... like me lol

i used some gorrilla glue brand duct tape in the mean time. seems to be holding. I'm going to track down some of that goop and do a layer and retape with maybe one or two layers of tape.

Easier chances of find a cone with the foam already on it. but if I need to cross that bridge I might be making a trip ft myers. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

That ***** dude... Another option would be to just order a new foam ring and do it your self.. It's already jacked so you have nothing to loose.. Kind of. Lol

i used some gorrilla glue brand duct tape in the mean time. seems to be holding. I'm going to track down some of that goop and do a layer and retape with maybe one or two layers of tape.
Easier chances of find a cone with the foam already on it. but if I need to cross that bridge I might be making a trip ft myers. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Shoe goop also works well (in the red tube), though the original (blue tube) is always a safe bet. That and gorilla tape will do **** near any surround repair.

As far as replacing just the foam, probably not going to happen. It's a horrible pain in the arse to scrape foam away from the cone and not much better to clean the basket down to bare metal. Also most of the companies that sell ONLY the foam are mostly foams for older home and PA speakers and will almost definitely not have anything as thick or rugged as what you want.

From there, even assuming you can get a raw surround, you'll need to pull off the dustcap and shim up the coil before glueing. You can not simply replace the cone since the cone/coil joint is typically the strongest bond of the whole thing and unless you built it yourself who knows what kind of glues were used? If you use only CA glue you can recycle the coil by soaking it in some acetone, otherwise if it's some sort of epoxy it's a done deal and you'll never get the coil free from spider and cone.

Shoe goop also works well (in the red tube), though the original (blue tube) is always a safe bet. That and gorilla tape will do **** near any surround repair.
As far as replacing just the foam, probably not going to happen. It's a horrible pain in the arse to scrape foam away from the cone and not much better to clean the basket down to bare metal. Also most of the companies that sell ONLY the foam are mostly foams for older home and PA speakers and will almost definitely not have anything as thick or rugged as what you want.

From there, even assuming you can get a raw surround, you'll need to pull off the dustcap and shim up the coil before glueing. You can not simply replace the cone since the cone/coil joint is typically the strongest bond of the whole thing and unless you built it yourself who knows what kind of glues were used? If you use only CA glue you can recycle the coil by soaking it in some acetone, otherwise if it's some sort of epoxy it's a done deal and you'll never get the coil free from spider and cone.
Wholly shiz... Lol I had no idea yacht much went into a rering.. Just assumed. Thanks for the info!

What's the best cleaner to get the old left over duct tape adhesive off the surround? Gonna try to be more conservative with the tape this time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.