Recommend an Infinite baffle woofer for my boat

Participant count
  • Participant list

offshore1

Hi all, new guy here and I need some of your help - please.

I am looking for either a 10" or 12" woofer that I can use in an infinite baffle set up. The woofers will be installed in the side panels in the cockpit of my boat. They don't need to be a "marine" speaker.

The side panels have a depth of about 5.75" but have lots of room on either side lengthways up & down the boat.

I would like to have the highest efficiency as possible as the cockpit is open and thus no walls to re-enforce SPL's. I plan to run these with an old school Soundstream D200II bridged to mono.

I am 48 years old and not looking to play bass heavy music (RAP, Hip hop, etc), I prefer classic rock that I grew up with.

I have tried the Kicker "marine" subs and they ****. Right now I am using ADS A10S.2 and it sounds pretty good, but I am sure there is something better.

Attached is a picture of where the existing woofer is.

What are your suggestions for a 10" and a 12".

Also, who makes a good 300w + sub amp that is no wider than 9"? Space is limited to mount an amp. I have a JL 500/1 and it won't fit! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/mad.gif.c18f003ab0ef8a0d9c27ca78d77a6392.gif

Thanks in advance!!!

9" wide and how long?

What the side of the boat?

The cavity is about 5.75" deep, about 4' tall anb 10'- 15' long. This picture above shows where the woofer is located. One on each side.

The pic below shows the boat it is going in.

Difficult to explain. Amp needs to be 9" wide because of how you have to work it into the location. It is just a tricky spot to get an amp into.

I was thinking of a older Soundstream Rubicon 501. That will go. I also have a SS D200II in there now, but I want to run 2 ohms mono, and the D200II will only allow a 4 ohm load bridged/mono.

9" wide and how long...
You can mount the amp more than 1 direction, no?
No, can mount in one direction.

How long? Maybe 10" to 15". The problem is getting it in, plenty of length once in.

Amp can be longer if it is narrower.

Sorry bout the confustion.

couldn't you build a sealed fiberglass enclosure into the cavity?

in an open space like a boat, i'd shoot for the most power handling possible.

IB's a great idea, but with fewer than 3 or 4 big drivers, a small environment like a car is the only place to pull it off.

not trying to burst your bubble, but i don't think you're even gonna hear an IB sub in your boat within the mechanical power limitations of an open enclosure.

Not possible to build encloser, no real access.

No bubble to burst, I currently am running an ADS A10S.2 in there with pretty decent results. Just think there is more to be had.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.