Re xxx 18" vs Dc lvl 4 XL 15"

Tyler Lee
10+ year member

Terry
Ok here's the deal I have a dc lvl 4 XL 15 right now that's d2 on my aq 2200.. I planned on salin the dc and gettin 2 of em that r d4 then I had a offer today to trade my sub and amp for the newer re xxx 18 and $350 for a re m2d2 amp he has also. I want to b n the high 40's or n the 50's. I hit a 145 at 38hz with my setup. Lemme get some opinions. Thanks

two xl 15's... those xxx's are so impractacle to mount honestly lol. like 13" mounting depth! also when a xl blows re-cones are readily available

also this next comment is pertaining to your "meter score" want:

a setup can be **** BALLS LOUD to the ear and be horrible on the meter. a setup can sound dirty to the ear and meter well. IF your goal is only to meter high and say "look im loud" then build a box and tune it to what your car meters highest at. if this is a daily driver, dont even worry about SPL honestly. alot of guys come on forums saying they meter this they meter that on music. Who cares in all honesty lol. im sure ima upset some people with this but hey, every opinion is worth reading.

Since it is a larger sub, it is possible that it will get louder in the right enclosure. BUT, the XXX is not an SPL sub. If I am not mistaken the XXX is more SQ-oriented, or SQL, and the DC is more SPL-oriented.

DonH it is a daily driver sub.. And I just wanna meter high just to make my self happy. Lol.. And yea I thought the xxx's were more sq to. The guy also has a SS Xxx 18 that I would love to have. But he wants my amp and sub and $600... Think I'll pass

So what would y'all guess be in db of the one 18" xxx and then 2 of my 15's? A guy at scrapin was hitting 149 with two of my subs. But he was n a magnum. I'm n a extended cab s10

xl's will meter louder, much more motor force than the xxx. but i would be willing to guess that the xxx 18 will sound much louder. some guy had one of the newer 18's and was pissed he couldnt break 145 with it, and then when i listened to it i was really surprised. he had a lot of flex and it sounded big and powerful. im sure this is a horrible generalization but from my experience, subs with more than 28mm of xmax or so typically dont meter as high but sound really loud in the car.

Subs with higher xmax tend to play louder lower. That's usually means more even SPL levels and a wider range of notes so while it may not be as loud at it's peak note, it's louder overall if your looking at the overall range of notes the sub is playing..

Subs with higher xmax tend to play louder lower. That's usually means more even SPL levels and a wider range of notes so while it may not be as loud at it's peak note, it's louder overall if your looking at the overall range of notes the sub is playing..
I'll take a wider bandwidth any day of the week.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Tyler Lee

10+ year member
Tyler Lee
Terry
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from