RE SE's box

HawaiianHaole
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Delaware
RE sent me plans for a ported box. Its 4 cubes tuned to 33Hz. Basic dimensions are 35"x17"x18".

I am thinking about going sealed. Site recommends about 1 cube per sub, so something like 25x13x13 (approx).

But what if I went with a sealed box the with the dimensions of the ported box I have. That would be nearly 2.5 cubes per sub in a sealed box. Would that sound horrible? Or even something like 35x17x12.

They will be powered with a Tsunami 1100D if power is a factor in your response.

Please let me know if there is a size threshold for a sealed box that you do not want to cross, and if so, is it the 1 cube/sub that is on RE's site?

OP
H

HawaiianHaole
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Delaware
As for the type of music I listen to, I truly cover every type, but probably 60-70% of what I listen to is country.

I really like tight bass, is that all the more reason to go sealed? But is it going to be loud enough in an SUV?

adammk5
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
they would be really effiecient and would have more low end,I had a 15" XXX in a 4.5 cuft instead of 2 cuft and it did sound better and had more low end,i'd do it if you didn't have that much power to work with.

OP
H

HawaiianHaole
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Delaware
Why do you want to go sealed?
Its not that I want to go sealed, its that I don't really know enough to choose between the two. And my thinking is that if I want more of a SQ response, sealed might be a better choice. But again, I have no clue.

InhumanAcura
5,000+ posts

1/3ofTEAM PwNAGE..*****es
To be completely honest i always ran sealed until I tried a ported box, now im sold. I cant say that sealed is worse (1 really isnt better than the other) But the output on a ported box is overwhelming compared to sealed IMO. Im not sure if you build them but try a ported box and if you dont like it build one sealed. Theres one on the re website that you could use.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.