RE SE's box

HawaiianHaole
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Delaware
RE sent me plans for a ported box. Its 4 cubes tuned to 33Hz. Basic dimensions are 35"x17"x18".

I am thinking about going sealed. Site recommends about 1 cube per sub, so something like 25x13x13 (approx).

But what if I went with a sealed box the with the dimensions of the ported box I have. That would be nearly 2.5 cubes per sub in a sealed box. Would that sound horrible? Or even something like 35x17x12.

They will be powered with a Tsunami 1100D if power is a factor in your response.

Please let me know if there is a size threshold for a sealed box that you do not want to cross, and if so, is it the 1 cube/sub that is on RE's site?

As for the type of music I listen to, I truly cover every type, but probably 60-70% of what I listen to is country.

I really like tight bass, is that all the more reason to go sealed? But is it going to be loud enough in an SUV?

they would be really effiecient and would have more low end,I had a 15" XXX in a 4.5 cuft instead of 2 cuft and it did sound better and had more low end,i'd do it if you didn't have that much power to work with.

Why do you want to go sealed?
Its not that I want to go sealed, its that I don't really know enough to choose between the two. And my thinking is that if I want more of a SQ response, sealed might be a better choice. But again, I have no clue.

To be completely honest i always ran sealed until I tried a ported box, now im sold. I cant say that sealed is worse (1 really isnt better than the other) But the output on a ported box is overwhelming compared to sealed IMO. Im not sure if you build them but try a ported box and if you dont like it build one sealed. Theres one on the re website that you could use.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.