Re MTs (2) vs (1) BTL n2

mikesmith0890
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I've been considering trading my N2 btl and going a different route lately, and one of the offers I've come across recently is for 2 - RE MTs with Fi soft parts, one in great working order and the other with a broken tinsel lead that appears to be repairable.

My question is, is this a trade that is in my favor, or in their favor. I like the idea of more cone area, I've been wanting to go from 1 12 to 2 12s on the same power (3k+ with steady voltage). I know the MTs are definitely outdated compared to the N2 technology wise, but I'm curious as to if they would be to my advantage.

Or should I just wait and find closer to what I'm looking to do (2 fi Qs, icons, hdc3s, etc)

I can see the MT's going for around $200 a pop and your BTL might fetch $300 so id say the MT's are worth more assuming alil solder will fix issue if not then and a recone is needed then your about equal.

So even if we say it's roughly an equal trade (worst case scenario) in a mainly daily used setup, will the mts serve me just as good? I should have slightly more headroom on power (assuming the mts can take 2500 each if I wanted to up the power down the road) and also have double the cone area.

So even if we say it's roughly an equal trade (worst case scenario) in a mainly daily used setup, will the mts serve me just as good? I should have slightly more headroom on power (assuming the mts can take 2500 each if I wanted to up the power down the road) and also have double the cone area.
They will be nice but you cant say just as good, it's twice the cone area.

Mt is a pretty beast ceramic motor. Even assuming you can't fix the broken one, you can likely get 125$ or more ea out of the motors and 25$ a pop out of the baskets once you clean them up so you're well ahead on the trade/sale value of a used N2.

I finally got a better picture of the MT with the broken lead. It's roughly an inch away from the triple joint where it snapped. I'm thinking it'll be a PITA to attempt to fix, so will probably need a recone. And if it's price similar to other fi recones, I'm guessing it would be in the $120 range so that it matches the other, at that point though, I'm not sure what spider pack it has or anything.

if the mt is chrome not black it will have y35 slugs. the mt is by far a better motor over the n2, also stronger than the n2. the mt is flat out the best motor to date scott ever designed. it still holds out with the best spl woofers on the market 10yrs later...

if the mt is chrome not black it will have y35 slugs. the mt is by far a better motor over the n2, also stronger than the n2. the mt is flat out the best motor to date scott ever designed. it still holds out with the best spl woofers on the market 10yrs later...
SPL sad thing no one has love for MT, can believe people diss them so much. 2 MT will walk all over 2 Q's, MT's are beast motors. You can always buy a recone for the broken MT. What size are the mt's?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.