rca's and bridging an amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

jacka
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
CA
When I bridge my 4-channel amplifier to power my frontstage, should I be using Y-adapters for the front rca's so it will be easier to tune (fading and balance) with the HU?

Whenver you bridge your amp for fronts, usually you only need to plug in one rca per channel.

So say it's like this:

bridge 1 + 2 = rca in channel one left

bridge 3 + 4 = rca in channel three left

It should be printed on the amp or in the amp manual.

Also, with a bridge amp for frontstage like that, you don't get any fade as you won't have rear speakers, just balance.

Some amps sum the input of L and R when bridged. 4 Channel RCA's wont help since he'll be using Front and Rear output for singal to just that one amp powering the fronts. Y adapters on the Front Outputs of the HU at the amp would be best. Bridgeing a 4 channel for fronts is a very good idea btw, you get a much better stereo separation out of a bridged 4 channel then a standard 2 channel (depends on brand of amp, but most are like this)

Y adapters on the Front Outputs of the HU at the amp would be best.
That's how I did mine. Works great.

Bridgeing a 4 channel for fronts is a very good idea btw, you get a much better stereo separation out of a bridged 4 channel then a standard 2 channel (depends on brand of amp, but most are like this)
Hadn't thought of that, but makes sense.

The reason I like it is because the power/dollar issue. I had a 100x2 @ 4 that worked pretty well, but I had a chance to get the 50x4 @ 4 from the same series which bridged to 180x2 for exactly the same price. It was a no brainer.

Some people argue that the increased THD makes it a bad idea -- That's just silly. Going from .01 to .02 or even .05 is a microscopic increase and still FAR below the threshold of audibility. The bonus power is a much bigger positive factor than a few tenths of a percent of THD are a negative.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.