RCA Cables and Fuse Q

Participant count
  • Participant list

Tnnrx7
10+ year member

IL
Hey Guys,

I previously bought a wiring kit when I had my subs in my previous car. Well long story short I left the RCA cables in the car.

So now I need to find a good quality RCA cable for as cheap as possible. What do you guys recommend and from where?

Also, I noticed on this power cable that I have, it has a ring terminal on one end to go on the battery and then on the other end of the wire where it goes to the amp, the fuse box is located down there. Is this bad? I thought it needed to be closer to the battery, but it came like this from Kicker.

Thanks

I thought it needed to be closer to the battery, but it came like this from Kicker.

Thanks
Correct. Ideally the fuse should be as close to the batt as possible, within the first six inches. The fuse is protecting the wire, not the amplifiers, as they have their own fuses. Make sure the fuse does not exceed the maximum amperage rating of your power wire as well!

Yeah that's the way I always understood it, but I don't see why Kicker would put it on that end of the wire then? It even shows the fuse at the back of the car by the amp on the diagram that came with the wiring kit.
Hmm... the only way I would see use in having one on the end of the wire is if you had it connected to another battery, but you'd still need one near the first battery. Either way you look at it the diagram is flawed I guess //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

Something isn't right. I don't think a big name like Kicker would mess up on a diagram like that. Does it make a difference that it's a "Power Distributor"? Check the link above for all the info on the kit.

Dont worry about what Kicker has for their diagram. Cut the wire within a foot of the battery and install the fuse there (btw I have the same kit lol)

Well I really find it crazy that they would mess up something like that unless they have some sort of reason. I'm going to give Kicker a call tomorrow and ask.

So you cut into the teflon-like ending on the cable?

Well I really find it crazy that they would mess up something like that unless they have some sort of reason. I'm going to give Kicker a call tomorrow and ask.
I cut mine that came with the PKD1 kit to put a fuse in there. It's just tech-flex wire sleeve, nothing special really. easily cut with a razor blade or anything really.

maybe it is set up like that to show it being a distribution block? It shows two amps coming off that block, and also I have the same picture on some kicker speaker wiring that I have (it was prepackaged and it has the same diagram in the back)

maybe it is set up like that to show it being a distribution block? It shows two amps coming off that block, and also I have the same picture on some kicker speaker wiring that I have (it was prepackaged and it has the same diagram in the back)
Ah I just noticed that your right.

So it is fine to use it as a normal fuse down by the battery though correct? I'll only be running one amp.

Not only is it fine, it is the thing you're supposed to do. If I can fuse it inside the battery box, I would but I forgot if my fuse holder has clearance in there.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.