Rare Pair of 12" TC Sounds Prototypes

ciaonzo
5,000+ posts

TheContinental
WI
Item(s) for Sale:

(2) 12" 3HP prototypes. Extremely rare, the only two I've ever seen or know of.

Only selling them as a pair.

Item(s) Description/Condition:

Musical and beastly.

Very long coil (3.5"WW), massive copper sleeve on the pole. Crazy power handling.

Never used, only tested. Essentially brand new.

Specs:

Dual 2ohm

Re = 1.5/coil, specs pulled in series.

Fs = 25.8894 Hz

Zmax = 38.7039 ohms

Qes = 0.5122

Qms = 6.0229

Qts = 0.4720

Le = 0.9676 mH (at 1 kHz)

Diam = 246.3800 mm ( 9.7000 in )

Sd = .0477 m^2( 73.8981 in^2)

Vas = 24.6562 L ( 0.8707 ft^3)

BL = 21.8359 N/A

Mms = 494.9209 g

Cms = 76.3590 uM/N

Kms =13096.0332 N/M

Rms = 13.3669 R mechanical

Efficiency = 0.0785 %

Sensitivity= 80.9664 dB @1W/1m

Price:

$650 plus half of shipping (CONUS) from 53527. Heavy mugs.

No trades, please.

Shipping and Miscellaneous Item Information:

Tops and motors will ship separately to avoid damages.

Item Pictures:

More pics and info on this link. --> http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofers/478546-if-you-like-tc-goodness-bring-jerkins-some-tissues.html
DSC05256.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Parker.

sobe3yourself, these are very well suited for tiny sealed enclosures - Low Fs, nice medium Qts, tiny Vas, and massive power handling. Sensitivity is not on your side, though. You'd need plenty of power.

what are the recommended specs for ported and how much wattage should we give them? Im in search of a power 12 similar to the xcon/dp/level xl.
Honestly, I wouldn't even bother with a conventional ported enclosure. Ever try to model a 1 cubic foot enclosure with a 25Hz tuning? Might as well build a TL, lol. I would highly recommend going small sealed with these or using TC Sounds passive radiators with them. Thermal power handling won't be of much concern but I would use at least 1-1.5k on each to start with.

Honestly, I wouldn't even bother with a conventional ported enclosure. Ever try to model a 1 cubic foot enclosure with a 25Hz tuning? Might as well build a TL, lol. I would highly recommend going small sealed with these or using TC Sounds passive radiators with them. Thermal power handling won't be of much concern but I would use at least 1-1.5k on each to start with.
I was very interested in these speakers until i read this… They dont perform well ported?

They dont perform well ported?
That's not at all what I said. I recommended using passive radiators instead of conventional ports, lol. Almost exactly the same thing as a vented enclosure but better in most respects when done correctly.

will the TC Sounds VMP 12" Passive Radiator work? How big of a box would it require if we ran one with this PR? I am interested but not in the pair..anyone wanna split?!!

will the TC Sounds VMP 12" Passive Radiator work? How big of a box would it require if we ran one with this PR? I am interested but not in the pair..anyone wanna split?!!
Yes, as I stated above your post, the TC Sounds version in particular because it has similar excursion capabilities and compliance parameters that will best suit the tiny enclosures these drivers want to see. As far as enclosure size, did you notice the Vas figure?

If we shoot for the ubiquitous sealed alignment Q of .707, by simply plugging the following formula we get one very tiny enclosure to try and shoehorn a monster of a 12" into.

Vb = Vas / (( Qtc / Qts )^2 - 1)

24.656 / (( .707 / .472 )^2 - 1) = 19.825 liters (approximately .7 cubic feet)

For use with a PR you might bump the volume up to .8 cubic feet per driver.

I will not split these drivers up.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.