Rainbow Germaniums OR Dyns 240 MK2

DGuy

Which would u choose?

I listen to rock pop kinda music, strong mid bass and smooth highs are important.. and have two amps to play around with. An orion xtr 5002 and xtr 3752..So its either bi amp the germs or full active with the dyns... low end will be handled by an idmax 12 + hcca 250 g4..

hope to get some help here.. thanx in advance

Which would u choose?
I listen to rock pop kinda music, strong mid bass and smooth highs are important.. and have two amps to play around with. An orion xtr 5002 and xtr 3752..So its either bi amp the germs or full active with the dyns... low end will be handled by an idmax 12 + hcca 250 g4..

hope to get some help here.. thanx in advance
Either set would be very nice. There isnt much trade off tweeterwise, they both will blow your socks off with detail/ smoothness. It comes down to whether you like the sound of poly cones and laid back midrange. Here is where I think the Rainbow will have the better hand and better 'edge' to the midbass with the aluminum cones. The Germ mids are quality built, copper in the motor too. There was a subjective/objective review done by caraudio and electronics mag on the 240gt set, you should look for it.

Either set would mate well with an ID sub.

ok point noted...
I'm just making tonal observations. The Dyn's without a doubt are considered better based on name and price by many. Hence i refered you to the CA&E review where the midbass drivers in the 240 set didnt objectively perform/measure so great. The Dyn xover , although made with fine internals- is rather designed simple, the xover point suit best on axis use and rather limits you. So yes you maywant to go active with that set.

The Germ xovers do offer a plethera of wiring and phase relationship options.

Its really about what you like IMO. The Rainbow is without a doubt a more livelier speaker across the freq range- lively, but never offending. While you can expect a neutral top end on the Dyns, a bit more relaxed midrange and a thicker sounding midbass. If you like some strong snap and more detailed kick drum from your

midbass, the Germ can do that better IMO.

My shop sells both, I'm quite fond of both companies and both type of sounds actually. The truth is you like cant go wrong with either- at this price point you can get excellent results from these speakers, and both are fairly easy to get really good sound with little , to no work. Good luck.

BTW if you like rock, i think the Germs can help deliver a more edgy, realistic bassline. They are pretty fast, pretty efficient with power vs the Dyn's that need a good deal of headroom to shine in heavy and more complex musical passages.

Dyns are excellent choice for the smoother music i think.....jazz, r&b,etc..

i couldnt find the cae review on the dyns...

how would the two tweeters rate in on axis/off axis?

the orion amps are rated 125w and 92w rms.I'm sure that 90+ watts is a ton load for tweeters but read about dyns being power hungry to get them singing, is 125w enough for the mids ? should be fine for the germs i assume...

i couldnt find the cae review on the dyns...
how would the two tweeters rate in on axis/off axis?

the orion amps are rated 125w and 92w rms.I'm sure that 90+ watts is a ton load for tweeters but read about dyns being power hungry to get them singing, is 125w enough for the mids ? should be fine for the germs i assume...
both tweets are very good off axis- you can mount'm anywhere

Dont be concerned with tweeter power- give more or give it less than rated- it dont matter, they'll sing either way. IMO the Germ mid will appreciate that 125rms better than the Dyns, although it is a respectable amount of power to get good performace out of it, just not optimal. IMO that mid needs 150-200rms minimum for great control, those drivers have massive voice coils they can take gobs of power.

both tweets are very good off axis- you can mount'm anywhere
Dont be concerned with tweeter power- give more or give it less than rated- it dont matter, they'll sing either way. IMO the Germ mid will appreciate that 125rms better than the Dyns, although it is a respectable amount of power to get good performace out of it, just not optimal. IMO that mid needs 150-200rms minimum for great control, those drivers have massive voice coils they can take gobs of power.
still kinda undecided... getting the germs, thats for sure.. but NOW, should the orions be changed to something with more rms per side?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/goodorbad.gif.fe1f80382c74d93547176ee10a15b645.gif orion amps are known to be underrated and all, so i hope they are pumping out more than the stated 125wrms. any1 has done a lab test on this xtr series???

ok help me out here. there's this guy selling off his zapco ref 1000 2 ch amp for about usd 530.

2x 250w @4 ohms, 2 x 500w @2 ohms, 1 x 1000w @ 4 ohms

should i stick with my orions for go for this one to fire the germaniums??

The mids in the dyn 240GT set, MW160GT, are different than the mids in the 240MKII set, MW160. CA&E reviewed the GT which in my opinion is a much weaker mid than the MW160.

ok help me out here. there's this guy selling off his zapco ref 1000 2 ch amp for about usd 530.
2x 250w @4 ohms, 2 x 500w @2 ohms, 1 x 1000w @ 4 ohms

should i stick with my orions for go for this one to fire the germaniums??
I think that zapco comboed with Germs won't allow the bi-amp function. Pass and find a 4 channel. Eclipse makes a nice EA4000 that would couple nicely with em. Won't break the bank but I'm sure zapco has a 4 channel that woll do the trick.

I think that zapco comboed with Germs won't allow the bi-amp function. Pass and find a 4 channel. Eclipse makes a nice EA4000 that would couple nicely with em. Won't break the bank but I'm sure zapco has a 4 channel that woll do the trick.
360.4 reference dc and go active with them //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

The Germ xovers do offer a plethera of wiring and phase relationship options.

Not trying to jack the thread but only one that came up on my search.

I'm on the brink of finally hooking up my Germaniums. What xover set up would be the best to start with?

JL 300/4 75wrms per

6.5 in the stock door location on MDF baffles and tweets in the stock pillar. The tweets in the stock location don't have the ability right now to be aimed in any direction. They will play in a direction from the pillar across to the side mirror. I assume this will make a high end stage well above the dash. Unfortunatly at the moment the cant play at the driver... custom chop I guess. Or is this where running tweets on/off axis would help?

Based on this set-up. I don't think I left anything out.

What should I do with the xover.

And finally what do you think I should set the amp gains around. Just breaking them in and all.

Thanks in advance.

O' Ya. DGUY! What direction have you gone in?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.