Radio has Low FM volume but AM is normal.

StangOne50

CarAudio.com Newbie
SC
Hey guys basically what the title says. This is a stock Monsoon stereo in a 2005 Pontiac G6. I can hear the FM but only if I put the volume all the way up.
I cant seem to find any info or fixes for this. Someone told me it may be the radio itself. Id prefer to fix it because it has the DIC.
My other option is an after market radio. I already have a Sony Xplod cdx gt300 and I found this kit on ebay...
I understand I will lose my DIC and Im ok with that. But will I also lose my alarm?
The kit says it will not work with Monsoon but Idk if that just means I lose the DIC or it will not work at all.

I never installed a new radio but Ive taken this one out and repaired it before. I had to replace a gear so the cds would eject again.
Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

Could it be an antenna problem? AM has a much stronger signal coming in, which is why you can listen to AM stations 100s of miles away from the source.
Im not sure. I have FM signal. It stops on all the stations and I can hear them but only with the volume all the way up and even then it sounds very low, like I have to keep the windows closed and air off to hear it.

I looked at the antenna. It comes from the headliner and gets connected to the back window. I disconnected the wire and nothing happened. I expected to lose reception or something. Not sure if this means anything.
What about the amp? Isnt that what controls volume? I looked in trunk behind carpet but I didnt see anything, thought maybe a wire came loose or something.

Wow no one?!
I been on 4 forums trying to find a solution and no one can tell me anything. Is this really that rare of an issue?
Can anyone at least point me in some direction, is there another section or forum I can ask this question in?

I noticed last night that my FM does seem to have volume! I tried manually going through stations and on a lot of them the volume was normal though there was alot of static. But then when I got to one of my local stations the volume was very low but no static.
I dont get it...anyone have any ideas?

I noticed last night that my FM does seem to have volume! I tried manually going through stations and on a lot of them the volume was normal though there was alot of static. But then when I got to one of my local stations the volume was very low but no static.
I dont get it...anyone have any ideas?
Did you ever figure out a solution

Look at the antenna base, where it screws in, and the base as it attaches to the fender/roof. Sounds a lot like corrosion is the culprit here. If so, you need to swap bases for a new one.

I would think so. If you have an antenna base exposed to the elements for years, it would probably corrode. Unscrew the antenna mast, and check the inside. Undo the capture nut on on the base, and pull up on it, and check there too.

Wow no one?!
I been on 4 forums trying to find a solution and no one can tell me anything. Is this really that rare of an issue?
Can anyone at least point me in some direction, is there another section or forum I can ask this question in?
I have the same problem in a 2001 Chevy Suburban, AM sound is fine and FM is very low and will not turn up.

I have the same problem in a 2001 Chevy Suburban, AM sound is fine and FM is very low and will not turn up.
I'm having the same problem on my 2001 Mercedes ML. Can barely hear any of the FM stations, but the AM stations come in loud and clear. I might add that only once, a strange thing happened while on a favorite FM station of mine... I was driving along, with barely any sound coming out, and the volume cranked all the way up, when out of nowhere, the volume suddenly was blaring as loud as could me. Unfortunately, this was short lived- the FM station soon returned to its barely audible level ( but volume button still maxed out. I just got this car from my dad, who's owned it almost 2 decades, but he was never concerned enough about listening to music to get it fixed. Any ideas?

I'm having the same problem on my 2001 Mercedes ML. Can barely hear any of the FM stations, but the AM stations come in loud and clear. I might add that only once, a strange thing happened while on a favorite FM station of mine... I was driving along, with barely any sound coming out, and the volume cranked all the way up, when out of nowhere, the volume suddenly was blaring as loud as could me. Unfortunately, this was short lived- the FM station soon returned to its barely audible level ( but volume button still maxed out. I just got this car from my dad, who's owned it almost 2 decades, but he was never concerned enough about listening to music to get it fixed. Any ideas?
Check if the antenna has booster. It may need to be replaced, repaired or rewired.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

StangOne50

CarAudio.com Newbie
StangOne50
SC
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views