Radar Detector wired into audio system

Participant count
  • Participant list

hurraybies

Oregon
Alright so I recently bought a new Cobra Vedetta SLR 600 radar detector. The problem I am having is that when my music is turned up, I cannot hear when it goes off. I have it placed in my peripherals but I do not always see it.

My question:

If I take it apart and create my own 3.5mm output coming off the current speaker in the unit, then wired that into the cables going into the amp for my rear speakers, would that amplify the sound coming from the radar detector and would the levels be changed when turning the volume up and down on my head unit?

My guess is, yes. I assume that when connecting the two via a Y cable, it will combine the signals and the head unit will be the one changing the volume of the amp because the output voltage is going to be greater on the head unit than the radar detector. Am I correct?

If this idea turns out to be horribly wrong, please let me know! I don't want to void my warranty (assuming there is one) by taking it apart.

I would be glad to hear of any other ideas you might have! My main goal is to make the radar detector loud enough to hear over my music. I would also like for the radar detectors volume to be controlled by my head unit so that when my music isn't loud, I won't get an incredibly loud "Ka Alert" blowing up my ear drums.

Thanks in advance! All comments greatly appreciated!

i have never done what you are talking about but I did help another installer fix the issue you are running into. we took about the radar detector and extended the normal flashing LEDs to a different set of RCA that we built into the dash/instrument cluster so that the LEDs flash in the drivers line of sight. instead of having just one LED we actually had 6 red LEDs illuminate the gauge cluster so that the po po wouldn't see the cluster flash.

You could rig something up to work, but I'm not sure that this is the correct approach and I'm not sure that it's possible to have the HU control the volume.

I would NOT run the direct output of that radar detector's sound output into your amplifier... NOT a good idea at all - and NO - to answer your question - It will NOT change with the volume of your HU, you would have to have it wired Through your HU which would defeat the purpose of what you're trying to accomplish cuz you wouldn't be able to listen to music...

If anything... Get some lil cheesed1ck amp you can hide under the dash, wire the detector to that and run that to a PA horn under the dash or something...

what is the "intellimute" mode? check to see what the audible signals voltage, it might be enough to light up an LED or something else that can give you a visual sign that it's going off.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.