"Tuning?"

Participant count
  • Participant list

302yota
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
hey, i've always wanted to know what u guys are talking about when yall talk about tuning your boxes to a certain Hz. I know you would put it at a lower Hz if you are looking for lower bass, and put it higher for higher bass, (correct me if I'm wrong though), but i've always wondered what yall are talking about, and how you tune the boxes.

For a sealed enclosure, this is a simple function of enclosure size related to the thiele/small parameters of the speaker used. Generally speaking, a sealed enclosure's Fc (resonant frequency of a speaker in a sealed enclosure) drops as the enclosure size increases and rises as the enclosure size decreases. So you can get better low frequency extension with a larger sealed enclosure.

With ported enclosures, it is a function of the net internal volume of the enclosure (minus the volume displaced by the port), the port cross sectional area, and the length of the port. Generally speaking, a ported enclosure's Fb (resonant frequency of a speaker in a ported enclosure) drops as the enclosure size decreases, the cross sectional area decreases, or the port length increases.

If you want to get a bit better idea, download a program like WinISD or UniBox...pick a favourite speaker of yours and plug the thiele/small parameters into the program. Then try simulating different sized enclosures with different sizes of ports and you'll get a better idea of what's going on.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.