"Idiot proof" Head Unit?

Joker7997

Hello all, does anyone have a good recommendation for a head unit that either does not allow or password protects eq functions? I run a Limousine service and it seems like every other job the customers have completely messed the stereo up, I get in, it's faded all the way front right, loudness on max, max bass, just stupid stuff, and if I don't catch it the next customers are like hey dude you're stereo sounds like sh*t! Another plus would be Bluetooth that automatically deletes old pairings as new ones are added because noone can ever figure that out either. Any help would be much appreciated !

It wouldn't be a normal head unit, it would be some app style head unit or an android tablet that you root and add some third party programs that help with those issues. No dont get the 80 prs its not proper for this situation.

Another option would be to leave the head unit up front and just add a remote gain control knob for your amps , one subwoofer and one mids and highs knob and all they get to control is the volume, nothing else. They can pair blue tooth and you can just delete it manually every other pick up you do.

Just Make a little sign that labels one knob volume and the other one says bass to keep it simple for the idiot passengers.

The gain for the amp will be set to a level that will never clip or distort However you gotta watch out for clients that mess with their phone EQs and pre-amp signals as well, but most dont know how to do that with their phones or even have a proper EQ.

The only way to keep that from happening is to have a system loud enough that they WILL NEVER need to even do any of that. I'd highly recommend getting a real subwoofer setup that can choke the passengers to death along with some PA speakers with some silk down in an active configuration that can blow some ear drums but can also sound very nice at a lower volume.

I've got a whole fleet of these things, and it's just tiresome. I have great systems in my personal cars but customers wouldn't be able to handle it. It's not so much that they turn it up to distortion/blowout levels, it's that they screw with all the settings and make it sound terrible. Either drunken stupidity or ignorance of how the head unit works, or i don't know if theyre trying to change the station, turn it up, or whatever, they get into the menus and screw everything up. It's almost like they're pranking me.

I've got a whole fleet of these things, and it's just tiresome. I have great systems in my personal cars but customers wouldn't be able to handle it. It's not so much that they turn it up to distortion/blowout levels, it's that they screw with all the settings and make it sound terrible. Either drunken stupidity or ignorance of how the head unit works, or i don't know if theyre trying to change the station, turn it up, or whatever, they get into the menus and screw everything up. It's almost like they're pranking me.
like i said, do not let them have access to the head unit. Just a volume knob and a bass knob. Pure and simple

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_40536_NVX-Universal-Bass-Knob-XBRC.html

Assuming you can use passive crossovers for your speakers why not just hook up yellow (constant power) on the head unit to your ignition power? That way when you turn off the car and turn it on again it resets everything to default. Or just put a push button switch inline with the yellow so you can push a button to open the constant power and reset to defaults. You'd need to set the clock again (or not worry about it), but that's the simplest way I'd see. Anything that gives passengers control of source and volume will let them access other advanced functions unless you get really complicated.

Perhaps a marine receiver remote. Will keep drunk idiots from playing with anything but the track and volume. Then just make sure the hu is Bluetooth so they have the option to post their phone as music source.

Assuming you can use passive crossovers for your speakers why not just hook up yellow (constant power) on the head unit to your ignition power? That way when you turn off the car and turn it on again it resets everything to default. Or just put a push button switch inline with the yellow so you can push a button to open the constant power and reset to defaults. You'd need to set the clock again (or not worry about it), but that's the simplest way I'd see. Anything that gives passengers control of source and volume will let them access other advanced functions unless you get really complicated.
The simplicity of this might be exactly perfect

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Joker7997

Joker7997
Murrieta ca
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
Joker7997