Quick Question

BarakObamaJr666
10+ year member

I have two SA Series 12" subs that i want to put in a sealed box. They each require 1 cubic foot for a sealed box. SO is it better for each sub have to have its own chamber or can i have the two share a single chamber with 2 cubic feet of space? This is after I factor in the displacement of the subs of course. I'm still new to all this and have been searching the forums and absorbing it's message. Don't be rough on me! I have figured that for a single sub, I need a box with an internal dimension of 8.5 x 15 x 15.5

Last edited by a moderator:
Either way works. As long as the total cu.ft. is equal to the requirements for the number of subs. Shared chamber can share one large port, easier to build. Separate chambers might save your sub if the other one blows(doubling the airspace on the good sub). Up to you though.

if you share chambers you can save space and run 2 in 1.6-7cubes. if you share the chambers at 2cubes the subs should really wreck on the lows more than if do individual 1cube chambers or if you got the space saver route

if you share chambers you can save space and run 2 in 1.6-7cubes. if you share the chambers at 2cubes the subs should really wreck on the lows more than if do individual 1cube chambers or if you got the space saver route
exactly - subs behave differently when sharing airspace - it's not straight addition to determine combined volume vs separate volume.

i always use separate chambers so i don't have to worry about the subs interacting in the same airspace... unless i'm IB. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

if you do decide to share airspace - use software to model the enclosure so you can predict response.

brace the hell out of the box regardless - flex is bad.

I've heard (for years) a myth that multiple subs in a shared chamber produce more output than in separate chambers... Idk if this only works for ported enclosures or if it works at all but that's what I've heard growin up so I've always stuck w/ that lol I'd love to know if its true or not tho. Supposedly shared chamber can produce up to +2 or 3 dB but idfk

I was always told by the techs(from Kicker,JL Audio,and Pioneer)at training seminars that unless you have matched drivers they go in individual enclosures.Because even though you use more than one of the same model driver,if they aren't matched they will preform differently.I 've never heard about the shared chamber output boost before.Maybe that is what happens with spec matched drivers,they are so close to the exact performance paramaters that they work better using the same air space.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.