Quick question about setting gains with and oscope.

Participant count
  • Participant list

snyderd758
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I'm going to give this a try my main question is when I am setting the gains do I need to leave the speakers hooked up? It seems to me I would otherwise the output voltage would go up when I do hook them up causing the amp to clip? Thanks for any and all replies.

I'm going to give this a try my main question is when I am setting the gains do I need to leave the speakers hooked up? It seems to me I would otherwise the output voltage would go up when I do hook them up causing the amp to clip? Thanks for any and all replies.
No. Unplug the sub leads and put the dmm leads in. Turn the gain and bass boost setting on the amp all the way down and turn your hu to the max volume you listen to then +1. Then set it.

The +1 is so you don't ever accidentally clip because a lot of songs are recorded at different volumes. So some will use more voltage than others

No. Unplug the sub leads and put the dmm leads in. Turn the gain and bass boost setting on the amp all the way down and turn your hu to the max volume you listen to then +1. Then set it.
The +1 is so you don't ever accidentally clip because a lot of songs are recorded at different volumes. So some will use more voltage than others
i know how to set a gain with a dmm. My question concerns an oscope thanks for the reply though.

...so you don't ever accidentally clip because ...
This is an incorrect statement because clipping does not instantly blow speakers. You can "soft" clip your amplifiers over and over and your system is going to be just fine, as long as you're listening to music and not pure tones. People who set their amps with an oscilloscope with 0 gain overlap and no chance of clipping are wasting their amplifier's power.

This is an incorrect statement because clipping does not instantly blow speakers. You can "soft" clip your amplifiers over and over and your system is going to be just fine, as long as you're listening to music and not pure tones. People who set their amps with an oscilloscope with 0 gain overlap and no chance of clipping are wasting their amplifier's power.
It didn't show the oscope part in the title when I clicked the thread so I didn't realize he was using one.

I usually use a -3db test tone which might still be conservative I run some decently expensive equipment and better to be safe than sorry. Any input on my initial question? I have searched and searched all the videos and tutorials I have seen don't have the load hooked up and it doesn't make sense to me.

I usually use a -3db test tone which might still be conservative I run some decently expensive equipment and better to be safe than sorry. Any input on my initial question? I have searched and searched all the videos and tutorials I have seen don't have the load hooked up and it doesn't make sense to me.
Not all amplifiers behave the same way without a load. I recommend using reference material and your ears to set gains on a system with amplified speakers. Here is a good tutorial: CDT Audio Amp Gain Settings

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.