Quick n00b question about component system crossover impedance

Participant count
  • Participant list

ckunke002
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I've been shopping component speaker sets and something I keep noticing is that the listed impedance will be 4 ohms. At first I thought this meant the obvious, that the load my amp sees from the crossover is 4 ohms.. then I noticed a few sets that were listed on the sales page as 4 ohms, but pictures of the actual crossover displayed that the tweeter and woofer are both individual 4 ohm loads, which should make the load the amp sees not 4 ohms..

Basically my question is, even if it shows on the crossover that both drivers are 4 ohm loads, would the load my amp sees be 4 or could those manufacturers really be that deceiving?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's correct. At low frequencies the amp sees the 4 ohm woofer, at high frequencies it sees the 4 ohm tweeter.
That makes a whole lot of sense haha. Thanks for clearing it up... just didn't want to hook up my bridged amp to a 2 ohm load on accident and cook it

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.