Question regarding bi-amping/active setups

Participant count
  • Participant list

phantom240
5,000+ posts

ALL YOUR INTERNETZ
Alright, recently I've been having a slew of issues regarding my stereo setup in my truck. After attempting to track down a crackle at high volume, a tweeter giving up the ghost in the front components, and then my highs amp having a stroke, I'm left scratching my head as to where to go from here. I ordered new front components, since the tweeters to replace the dead one are, like the component set itself, discontinued and no old stock available. A few days before getting around to installing them, I noticed my highs amp would cut out for two to three seconds at high volume, then work for a few seconds, then cut out again back and forth like that. The weekend came around and I decided to look into it (I don't drive my truck except on weekends because I have a company work van), since I moved my crossovers and thought maybe a window or regulator had pinched a wire coming from a crossover. Turns out everything was golden, so I installed the new components, ohming out all of the stuff that was coming out of the doors. After finding nothing out of the ordinary, I fired up the system and it worked properly for a few moments, then back to flip flopping between protect and operational. Disconnected all the speaker wires and power from the amp, let it sit, connected power and powered it on. Again, going in and out of protect. So yeah, bad amp as well.

SO

My setup in my 2002 Avalanche is currently
KDC-X500 HU
CTX65CS front stage
GTO629 rear fill
2x 43CVR124 wired to 1 ohm, approx 1.1 cubes each sealed
SAZ-1000D sub amp
KTP-445U highs amp (insert sad trombone sound here)

Not exactly ballin at the moment, I decided to replace my dodgy Zapco ST-4D with an NVX JAD800.4 based upon its dyno results, and seemingly decent build quality. The low price didn't hurt either. I noticed that not only does the crossover section have a multiplier, but there's also a third position for bandpass mode. Could I use this amp to do a halfassed active 2 way front stage, by bandpassing the woofers and highpassing the tweeters each on their own channel? Would this net me any benefit? One issue I had with my last setup was that it wasn't quite loud enough. If my understanding is correct, going active allows more power to go to each speaker by powering a smaller bandwidth, is this pretty much the jist of things? Pretty sure the ID components can't withstand that kind of power, but I could always move them to the rear and build a more sturdy set for the front using some pro audio drivers. 

Side note: I'm frankly astonished that my rear fill hasn't died yet, given that they were on roughly the same power as the front stage, and the drivers seem much less capable than the old components.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.