question on runnin optima batteries in parallel

Participant count
  • Participant list

maleko

hawaii
can i run 2 different optima batteries in parallel, like a red top and a yellow top. i thought i read somewhere that if you run batteries in parallel they must me the same exact battery? seeing a red top is pretty much a normal battery and a yellow being a deep cycle battery, i wanted to run my accessories off the yellow( deep cycle) or should i just get 2 yellows, Can i use a yellow for the main battery ( starting etc... ) cause right now i have 2 red tops, i was just gonna run those since i have them

Thanks for any input..

You CAN run any two batteries in parallel. It is just suggested that you run the same batteries so that they are not feeding back and forth from each other when one gets drained because this supposedly lowers the lifespan of them.

NO, I do not have any experience doing this but have read about it some. They say that if the batteries are different, it is suggested you hook up a battery isolator. I have read many people say that they have not had a problem running different batteries in parallel though and that their batteries lasted fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.