Question on distro blocks...

Participant count
  • Participant list

Gauntlet
5,000+ posts

bulletproof
I'm gonna be running 2 amps in my system (Cadence Z4000 and Crossfire BMF1000D), with 0/1 gauge wire from the battery, and 4 gauge to the amps. What are the pros and cons of using a 0/1 gauge wire with a 200amp ANL fuseholder, to a power distro block, then 4 gauge to the amp, versus running 0/1 gauge to a 200amp ANL fuse distro block, then 4 gauge to the amps? Is there any difference?

It could depend on you battery/amp location. If you have it under the hood and the amp in the trunk, go with the fuse up front and the d. block in back. This way the fuse is within 18" of the bat.. If the bat. and amp are both in the trunk you could go with the fused d. block and keep it within 18" from the bat.. (this is how I have mine.) If I ran off of my battery up front, then (personally) I would put a fuse up font and a fused d. block back by the amps. The more protection the better.

Originally posted by Trixter It could depend on you battery/amp location. If you have it under the hood and the amp in the trunk, go with the fuse up front and the d. block in back. This way the fuse is within 18" of the bat.. If the bat. and amp are both in the trunk you could go with the fused d. block and keep it within 18" from the bat.. (this is how I have mine.) If I ran off of my battery up front, then (personally) I would put a fuse up font and a fused d. block back by the amps. The more protection the better.
Why does the fuse have to be between 18" of the battery?

Originally posted by jetta2vr6 Why does the fuse have to be between 18" of the battery?
I know that it is safer to have it as close as possible to the battery. I can't tell you why but everyone advised me to so I would suggest, the same. peace

Basically you want the power wire fused as close to the battery as close as possible because if it happens to short, it will only damage the wire between the fuse and the battery. If you put the fuse 20ft down the line, the wire could short, melt the wire insulation, and incinerate anything between the fuse and the battery. Keeping the distance to a minimum isn't foolproof but reduces the risk of a fire if the wire ever does happen to short.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.