Question for the pros...

Participant count
  • Participant list

Morrob99

So I seem to have a burning smell and I can tell I'm clipping a bit at higher volumes. I'm not sure I have the sub wired properly to the amp I'm using.

My understanding is I'll want to wire this sub (HDS208) HDS208

to 2 ohms and it'll take 600 watts rms.

The amp I'm using is the alpine v 500 Alpine

The alpine states that it can do 500 watts at 2 ohms. Is this too much for the subwoofer? I was wondering if the subwoofers 600watt rms is at 1 ohm. And I've been doing a ton of reading and I can't seem to figure out my problem...

Thank you very much for any help.

Side note;

This is my setup

WXxRoz3.jpg

YudIetZ.jpg

Also, the box might not be the best for this sub. I'm not sure. Theres an Aero port on the side. I don't know the specs, I just purchased off a lady on craigslist. Excuse my ignorance!

Last edited by a moderator:
What the sub is wired to doesn't effect rms rating. Your clipping the crap out of it which is causing it to over heat. Turn down your gain make sure bass boost is off on HU and amp also you need to find out box specs you could be coming the crap out of it if the box is too amall

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

What the sub is wired to doesn't effect rms rating. Your clipping the crap out of it which is causing it to over heat. Turn down your gain make sure bass boost is off on HU and amp also you need to find out box specs you could be coming the crap out of it if the box is too amall

So you're telling me that a FI BL that's rated at 1500 watts will run that no matter what ohms its wired too?

I'll measure out the box. Also, the bass boost on the HU is at 0, the gain on the amp is set to "nom" which I thought was nominal so I just left it there and the gain on the amp is set about.. A quarter of the way up? I've been trying to figure out how to properly set all that without that SMD tool I keep seeing

So you're telling me that a FI BL that's rated at 1500 watts will run that no matter what ohms its wired too?
I'll measure out the box. Also, the bass boost on the HU is at 0, the gain on the amp is set to "nom" which I thought was nominal so I just left it there and the gain on the amp is set about.. A quarter of the way up? I've been trying to figure out how to properly set all that without that SMD tool I keep seeing
A sub sees 1500watts @2 ohm the same it would see it at 1 your amp is only capable of 500w @2 so thats the most your amp is going to put out cleanly at least. You can use a DMM to set your gains since your amp is only capable of 500watts play a -3db 40hz test tone and play turn your headunit to its max clean volume (typically 75% of max volume) and get your speaker outputs as close to 44.7vac as possible you'll wanna in plug the sub to do this properly

A sub sees 1500watts @2 ohm the same it would see it at 1 your amp is only capable of 500w @2 so thats the most your amp is going to put out cleanly at least. You can use a DMM to set your gains since your amp is only capable of 500watts play a -3db 40hz test tone and play turn your headunit to its max clean volume (typically 75% of max volume) and get your speaker outputs as close to 44.7vac as possible you'll wanna in plug the sub to do this properly
Okay cool info.

So another question, how can I make sure I wired my sub correctly to 2ohms? I know it's a dual voice coil but I'm not sure what each coil is. As in if each is 2 or 4. Is there any way to figure this out?

Also, which way should I point my subwoofer in the trunk? Currently the subwoofer is facing up towards my rear deck with the aero port coming out the left toward the amp. It SEEMS to sound better when the subwoofer is pointed toward the *** of the car and the aero port pointed left. Is there a proper way to point the sub/box?

Okay cool info.
So another question, how can I make sure I wired my sub correctly to 2ohms? I know it's a dual voice coil but I'm not sure what each coil is. As in if each is 2 or 4. Is there any way to figure this out?

Also, which way should I point my subwoofer in the trunk? Currently the subwoofer is facing up towards my rear deck with the aero port coming out the left toward the amp. It SEEMS to sound better when the subwoofer is pointed toward the *** of the car and the aero port pointed left. Is there a proper way to point the sub/box?
Pull out the sub and under the magnet cover there will be a sticker that tells you weather its dual 2 or dual 4. If its dual four positive coil 1 to positive coil 2 negative coil 1 to negative coil2 if its D2 your only options would be 4ohm (negative coil 1 to positive coil 2) or 1 ohm Just play with it find how you like it most. I just looked at your amp. You have a 5channel amp? If that's the case your amp is only capable of 250w I would suggest upgrading your amp

Pull out the sub and under the magnet cover there will be a sticker that tells you weather its dual 2 or dual 4. If its dual four positive coil 1 to positive coil 2 negative coil 1 to negative coil2 if its D2 your only options would be 4ohm (negative coil 1 to positive coil 2) or 1 ohm Just play with it find how you like it most. I just looked at your amp. You have a 5channel amp? If that's the case your amp is only capable of 250w I would suggest upgrading your amp
Hey sorry about that, I listed the wrong amp. Mine is a mono amp and its this one http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-MRP-M500-Monoblock-Power-Amplifier/dp/B001E1NB1Y

This is what I found under the sub...I dont seem to see what youre talking about

9cjOaqN.jpg

Again thank you very much for the help.

The rubber sleave that's around the magnet pull it off and there should be small white sticker somewhere on the magnet
I'll report in tomorrow when I get some more time to mess with it. Thanks for all the help tonight man!

Edit:

One last question. My amp states it'll produce 500watts at 2 ohms but doesn't have any specs for 1ohms. Does this mean that the alpine amp is not stable at 1ohm?

I'll report in tomorrow when I get some more time to mess with it. Thanks for all the help tonight man!
Edit:

One last question. My amp states it'll produce 500watts at 2 ohms but doesn't have any specs for 1ohms. Does this mean that the alpine amp is not stable at 1ohm?
it doesnt make good power at 2 ohm.

When you clip, it doesn't matter how much power you are running, subs will get hot and you will eventually blow up subs. Its not that the sub cant handle it, its more in the lines of user error where you want more output but your amp cant even make enough clean power which dirties the signal and blows equipment.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.