question for ported box

jinx8402
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
RI
I am going to make a new box for my 2 12" kappa perfects, I already have the size and tuning all set. My question is that I wanna put the port in the middle of the box, but the box is not deep enough. i will be making a rectangular port and i know i can bend the port, which leads to my question....can i make the port like a "T" and have two openings? or is this a bad idea? If you need a picture I will make one in paint or something

I am going to make a new box for my 2 12" kappa perfects, I already have the size and tuning all set. My question is that I wanna put the port in the middle of the box, but the box is not deep enough. i will be making a rectangular port and i know i can bend the port, which leads to my question....can i make the port like a "T" and have two openings? or is this a bad idea? If you need a picture I will make one in paint or something
You'll either have to put the port on the side of the box or raise the tuning frequency enough to make it fit. You can also use round ports and use elbows to make them bend. Make sure that whatever you decide to do, there is an equal amount of distance from the port to the back wall as the width of the port.

so, i can't put the port down the center and have like a T shaped port with two openings? Here is a picture, the first drawing is what I want to do, the second is another option. the shaded area is the port. The reason I want the port in the middle is because my back seat only has the center that folds down, so I want the port to fire right into my cabin. the rest of the trunk will be sealed of (sort of)

ported box.bmp

Attachments

• ported box.bmp
    0 bytes · Views: 152
so, i can't put the port down the center and have like a T shaped port with two openings? Here is a picture, the first drawing is what I want to do, the second is another option. the shaded area is the port. The reason I want the port in the middle is because my back seat only has the center that folds down, so I want the port to fire right into my cabin. the rest of the trunk will be sealed of (sort of)
What kind of car do you have?

Unless that trunk is sealed off like fort knox, there's no need for you to fire the port into the cabin via the folding center. If you build a regular ported box with a side vent, you can just fire the port at the tail lights and keep that hole open.....and something tells me it'll be louder this way //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

no you cant do that..because when the subs unload..they will be going out both openings of the T. It will sound absolutley terrible and probably damage your subs..if you need to bend the port...use one of the sides of the box...if you want it in the center...make the port area small enough to where you dont have to bend it...but not to small now...always stay with about a 1:9 ratio on ports

Personally I like the "T" idea. But in the case your talking I don't think it will work unless you modify it. For number's sake, let's say your using a 1" wide port. Have your "T" part the goes parallel with the back 1" and the part that comes to the front of the box like 2.75" (1" port for each side and .75" for the divider in the middle.) What I' saying is simply split the part that comes foward in half...so really you have 2 "L" shaped ports that share the same wall when the get to the part that comes foward. (1st pic) You could even have the using the back wall of the box. (2nd pic)This will divide the box into seperate chambers though...I don't know if you want that.

Well i got it all figured out. I'm not going with the T shape anymore. I am making the box a little bit bigger and tuning just a bit higher. This will give me enough room. Thanks for the info though, thats why asked to get opinions on how it would sound.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.