Question about tuning

Participant count
  • Participant list

Mills561
10+ year member

BURR
I found a custom box for sale made by a member on this forum for two 12s its 35x18x18 tuned to 40hz and has 3 aero ports. Now idk if it's just me, but most boxes are tuned to low-mid 30s. How much of a difference am I looking at bass-wise with it being tuned to 40hz? How will Alpine Type-Rs perform in this box? Should I look for something that's tuned lower?

And just to make sure (noob question)... can you change the tuning on a box?

I'd be weary of a two 12" box with only 3" ports, as well as a tuning that high.

If the proper port area is used, the way to lower tuning is by lengthening the port.

Thanks for the input. I did eventually plan on getting different subs.... What subs would perform well in a 40hz tuned box?
Honestly, I'd never run anything in a 40hz box, but the popular answers are going to be DD and AQ subs, as they can still "smash the lows in a 40hz box." //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

I've always thought highly of DD, and that was probably what I was going to upgrade to. How big of a difference would there be to running lets say... two 2512's in a 40hz box compared to a low/mid 30s?

A smaller peak with the low 30's box, but much better low-end extension in most cases. If you're looking for something that will hit nearly everything from the upper 20's to however high you need it to play, and have a decently flat frequency response, then tune low. If you want something with a big peak that will meter well but lack low-end, then tune at 40hz.

Thanks for the info.

Being just a person who wants to add the thump, and not really concerned about how high I can meter or anything like that, which would you recommend to the average listener? If it adds to anything, I listen to rap/hip-hop

Thanks for the info.
Being just a person who wants to add the thump, and not really concerned about how high I can meter or anything like that, which would you recommend to the average listener? If it adds to anything, I listen to rap/hip-hop
Depends on the subs. For R's, something like 4.5ft^3 tuned to ~33hz will catch pretty much everything. If you listen to a lot of C&S stuff, tune lower, like 28-30hz.

haha... I've posted on this forum looking for someone, to no avail. The only response I really got was the guy who wanted to sell me the box I originally posted.

And I don't really know anyone who is wood work savvy, or has the equipment.

Any suggestions? I suppose a craigslist ad would be my best bet eh?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.