Question about Pre-Out voltage...

microhaxo
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
MINNESOTA
Ok so, i have had threads on here about how it is really hard to get even 250w rms out of my amp with a FULL GAIN. Well i think i might know why...

I have a Sony CDX-GT200 deck and i suspect that this is the culprit, out of curiosity i decided to see what the preamp voltage is on this deck, online i get NA for preamp voltage, so i go and test the voltage with my dmm and i see that im getting LESS THAN 1 volt of pre out at 50hz im getting less than HALF a volt of pre out per channel..

50hz tone at playing volume = 0.15 volts how horrible is that...

So my question is: If i had a deck that did 4 solid volts pre out or even 2 volts would it make it so i wouldn't have to turn my gain so high on the amp to get to 500w?

Would it make a big difference in the quality and sound of my sub?

So i wont really notice any difference (bass quality wise) from my current 0.15 volts to a 2.0v deck?

Well the sound through my speakers is Great, i have premium alpines so its already nice...

Its the bass that im concerned about. If 2.0 or 2.5 volts wont really make any noticeable differences from my 0.15v then i dont know if i can justify another purchase.

The preout volt CAN make a difference. If you have floor noise coming through your speakers, it usually gets amplified the more you have your gain turned up on your amp. What I higher preout voltage does is allow you to not have to turn the gains up as much to get the same volume, and in turn you won't be amplifying any interference/floor noise. You get a cleaner sound. Having a higher preout voltage has its benefits, its just not a necessity.

Personally, I'd ditch the Sony. Alpines are great HU with wonderful SQ.

I have the alpine 9887 idk how much is the pre out voltage but when i got my mmats mp5 eq(has a 10 volt pre out) and man the diference was just amazing, bass cleaner everything just improved dramatically, might not be necessary to some but if your picky thats the way to go.. wich i know everyone would enjoy more in there systems, i would never go back to just having the H/U, also my amps never pass 40 percent on the gains.

I have the alpine 9887 idk how much is the pre out voltage but when i got my mmats mp5 eq(has a 10 volt pre out) and man the diference was just amazing, bass cleaner everything just improved dramatically, might not be necessary to some but if your picky thats the way to go.. wich i know everyone would enjoy more in there systems, i would never go back to just having the H/U.
x2, thats why I've been thinking about getting a line driver, possibly an Audiocontrol Overdrive. Technically I don't need it, but I want it.

Huh, i have no noise at all with my current setup (atleast audible). I would like to be able to turn my gain down on the amp, its sitting at 90% because its hard to get it to reach the 45v with my deck..

If all that will happen is instead of a 90% turned up gain ill have a 70% turned up gain then i think ill have to wait till it dies. I dont have 150.00 lain around to spend on a new deck just because.

If your preout voltage is low it dosent matter just set with a dmm //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif the gain is just the amplification factor so less pre voltage=higher gains but you wont end up blowing speakers cause of high gains with low preouts.

x2, thats why I've been thinking about getting a line driver, possibly an Audiocontrol Overdrive. Technically I don't need it, but I want it.
yeah man your gonna love it lol it really makes a huge diference, what line driver are you plannin on buying?

you should look in to the mmats eq mp-5(sound quality is dead nice), eq with a built in line driver, love it.

http://www.mmatsproaudio.com/parametric.html

Yea thats what i was kinda confused about. I set my amp via DMM to 45v but i thought that since i had the gain set so high that i might be getting a bad signal (clipping).. Because lol its not really possible with this preout voltage to send the amp into clipping. Can barely get it past 45v....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.