question about my F-150. aaahhhhhh!!!

Participant count
  • Participant list

gearhead008
10+ year member

hey guys,

i have a question. I have a Ford F-150 and i replaced the factory speakers. I have a 40x4 deck w/ a 5 speakers. Two in the door( 2 pioneer 5-1/4's), two in the back in a box,(two 6x8's ford premium speakers) and 1 more in the center of the cab. The one in the center was the one i wired by bridging the rear wire. I was just using these as a test run to see how each one responded. Well, yesterday, i turned it on and my deck was 1/2 way up and the speakers started crackling. (for all you guys that have ever had a turntable w/ some old records that you cant get clean, it sounded like that) I dont think it is the speakers cause even though there sorry, it can handle the deck half way up. I dont think its my wiring but it could be. Im about sick and tired of taking those door panels off. I have probably done it about 100 times in the last month. I know its not my actual wire b/c its monster XP wire and its good stuff. I need to know if you think its the bridged wire. I need to double-check to make sure no wires are touching but i dont think they are. I have done everything i can think of. If you can think of anything else, please let me know. Thanks. Matt.

The one in the center was the one i wired by bridging the rear wire
By "bridging" the rear wire, what exactly do you mean? Did you tap into one of the rear spkr wires to run a signal to your 5th spkr, or did you actually bridge the channels (wire the left positive wire and the right negative wire in an attempt to double the power)?

I'm assuming you tapped in to one of the rear spkr channels to run your 5th spkr, and if that's the case, that is where you're problem is. You are running your H/U into a reduced ohm load, which it is not designed for and will be damaged it if you don't undo it immediately (if it's not already).

If you actually bridged the rear channels, that's even WORSE! Whaaatever you do, if you still have a H/U, undo that mess and break out your H/U's manual and follow directions.

One spkr per ch. ...this is not an ampliphier.

Originally posted by Frraksurred By "bridging" the rear wire, what exactly do you mean? Did you tap into one of the rear spkr wires to run a signal to your 5th spkr, or did you actually bridge the channels (wire the left positive wire and the right negative wire in an attempt to double the power)?

I'm assuming you tapped in to one of the rear spkr channels to run your 5th spkr, and if that's the case, that is where you're problem is. You are running your H/U into a reduced ohm load, which it is not designed for and will be damaged it if you don't undo it immediately (if it's not already).

If you actually bridged the rear channels, that's even WORSE! Whaaatever you do, if you still have a H/U, undo that mess and break out your H/U's manual and follow directions.

One spkr per ch. ...this is not an ampliphier.
I agree again plus lets add----
Instead of removing the door plans a couple of times--- break out your DDM [digital multi meter]

pull the HU out of the dash ---------removing speaker wires from it

test each channels resistance------- both across the +/- of each channel and resistance to ground[car body]----------------- this will tells you -------

low resistance across channel--------------- either +/- are crossed OR just too low for the HU---------check this spec against the HU's recommended ohm load

low resistance to ground[car body] -------------- if you even get a reading ---- it means that you have that channel's wire damaged/ touching the car body and grounding out-----very bad

let us know if this seems to check out-------we will move on to other testing

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.