Question about my 4 channel amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jason1004
10+ year member

cali
Hey, I have a mbquart DSC-450 channel amp for the speakers and a mbquart 1500.1 to power my subs. The 4-channel is getting pretty hot and its concerning me, the 1500 hardly even heats up. If this makes any difference, the head unit gets pretty hot too. Im using knuconceptz wiring and the subs are jl w3s-4 if that makes any difference as well. I dont remember it getting so **** hot before, but it was cold as hell outside then.

Im concerned about the heat and dont want to fry the amp, it never has shut off on its own yet. With my setup i have the speakers faded to the rear a few notches because it sounds better, because the fronts get too loud and distort. The guy that set up my stuff used an electronic device (sorry for being an idiot) to set the gains i believe. If i were to turn the gain down would this solve the heating problem? i mean , it gets hot within 15 minutes of playing to where you can barely touch it for more than a few seconds.

the front speakers are infinity 4x6s and the backs are mbquart 6x9s so its nothing special to the point where i think it should be getting so **** hot. Someone please help this nub.

MB Quart FTA-169 (fta169) - 6" x 9" Speakers - Sonic Electronix

pictures_new.php

MB Quart DSC-450 (dsc450) - 4-Channel Amplifiers - Sonic Electronix

Well the 450 is a AB amp and the 1500 is a class D amp...class D amps tend to run less hotter than AB amps and Ive had quite a few 4 channel 100 watt amps that got really hot under the hood...my Profile AP1040 and my mean machine 100.4 got seriously hot after a while of bumping...Funny thing is my MB Quart RAA4200 never got hot and for the two days Ive been running my DSC4125 it hasnt got hot either....I looked at my amp after bumping it for a 2 hour drive and it wasnt even luke warm...I suggest making sure all your electrical connections are tight and secure and rechecking the gain on the amp....I set my gain by ear and left some room from what I felt was clipping when I did it so Im really sure my speakers arent even getting the full 125 watts the amp puts out so that may be half the reason why my amp isnt breaking a sweat....

Im pretty sure my gains just need to be set better. The speakers are a little loud in the front and thats why i switched the volume to the rear more. They will distort if i turn the volume high enough (which is where i like my bass...). The installation should be good, the guy that set up my stuff is extremely experienced (not someone from a shop, although he has worked for some). Sorry for being such a god d a m n noob but are the gain levels where it says XOVER on this amp

MB Quart DSC 450

All i see is confusion when i look at the back of this? what would i need to adjust?

Is LP low point HP half point and full max?. I have no idea what all the acronyms mean. What do i have to adjust? I mean, should this amp really be getting that hot from the speakers i have listed? they arent anything that special to be having a problem...then again its never shut off on me. Thanks for the help man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well for one 4X6s arent made to produce bass...Ive read that oval speakers will distort sooner than round speakers will and 4x6s are the perfect example of that definition so what you need to do is cut the high pass filter on(either from your Headunit or your amp) and set it around maybe 125hz or so to stop your 4x6s from distorting....Your 6x9s can take a little bit more bass but I would still recommend not giving them full RMS or putting a High pass filter on those to.. My speakers in the front are only rated at 60 watts and my rears are 100 watts but they seem to be taking almost double the watts fine but I know if I cut my high pass filter off then they probably wont last me longer than a week....

They have gain setting tutorials on this site you just have to search for them..basically you need a DMM and a test tone(1000hz for speakers) and use the formula to find out how many amps need to be shown on the DMM so you have perfect output for your speakers.... and the gain levels should be the ones that say input level...with the .6v and goes up from there...crossovers is what you use to set the high pass filter(HPF) or low pass filter(LPF) which ever one you have set on...

And honestly i dont know why your amp is getting really hot...if your speakers arent blown yet then that means that the gain is somewhat set correctly it could be your electrical is making the amp see low volts alot or like i said earlier weak connections somewhere in your wiring...My first amp which was the profile i made that mistake (maybe half the reason why it got so hot) and it melted the power connectors on the amp...so just double check everything make sure it looks good and make sure your gains are good if they are then i guess its just the amp working( Maybe after my amp breaks in or somethin it might start heating up more lol)

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.